cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to bypass the initial SMTP setup when configuring HiveManager?

Is there a way to bypass the initial SMTP setup when configuring HiveManager?

Penny1
New Contributor

I am trying to setup a new instance of HiveManager NG to configure so we can migrate all of our devices off of the old HiveManager. Unfortunately I've run into a roadblock in the initial setup process. The page for configuring the SMTP settings requires the username be a valid email address (i.e. username@domain.com). We use AWS for our SMTP service and it does not use a full email address for the username. Has anyone figured out a way to work around this? This seems to be a common situation; not all SMTP servers require a fully qualified email address for the username.

Thanks,

Doug

19 REPLIES 19

nlowe
New Contributor III

Hi all,

A quick summary and a status update:

1) The engineering team should be changing the behaviour so that the SMTP username is not required to be in email address format for the next release.

2) The current design is that authenticated SMTP is currently mandatory, this was an intentional design decision. I am not aware of a plan to change this for the next release.

3) The current design for RADIUS admin authentication is that there is a direct reference to the username configured locally, and therefore a local user has to exist, to use this. I am not aware of a plan to change this for the next release. (There is currently, no means to map a local user to a different RADIUS user.)

4) There is a bug in this RADIUS admin authentication feature where PAP is incorrectly used. The engineering team should be correcting this for the next release.

5) Because use of an SMTP server is required by design for various features in the HiveManager VA to function, it is an intentionally mandatory step to configure an SMTP server when setting up initially. (However, by entering something unused, it is possible to skip past this for lab testing and qualification purposes outside of a production environment.)

I will flag this thread to the appropriate teams so that they are aware of the observations and requests being made here.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Nick

oliver_eve
New Contributor

I was just about to raise this issue. Where is the best place for updates on this? There are few issues with authenticated access to HM NG , This thread, radius not working correctly and also not being able to use an email relay without requiring authentication (we use an internal relay).

Should i create a new thread for the email relay issue? I have a case open for the radius problem

nlowe
New Contributor III

Hi all,

We are investigating lifting the restriction on the SMTP username that limits it to an email address format.

Best,

Nick

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks very much @Gunter Reinhard​ . I'm sorry for the rocky start to the case, but I've updated it and sent it to the correct team for you. Thanks for your patience, please don't hesitate to let me know if I can help with anything else.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II
Hello Sam,

I have created case 00260037.

Many regards,

Gunter

Am 09.01.19 um 21:02 schrieb Aerohive:
GTM-P2G8KFN