cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Aerohive network to new IP address range. Updating ip addresses and default gateway for access points and switch.

Moving Aerohive network to new IP address range. Updating ip addresses and default gateway for access points and switch.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

We’re moving to a new firewall and providing a new IP address range for our Aerohive network and Wi-Fi devices, meaning that we’ll need to update the Static IP Address, Netmask and Default Gateway for our Aerohive Switch (SR2024P) and eight Access Points (AP121).

Currently, our Windows DHCP server provides DHCP services to WiFi devices and seven of the AP121. The other AP and switch both have static IP addresses. Our new firewall will provide DHCP services for the Aerohive network and all WiFi devices.

Versions:

APs and switch: 6.5r8

HiveManager Online: 8.1r2

Current config:

IP address range: 192.168.0.0-192.168.3.254

Gateway: 192.168.0.23

AP121 static IP address: 192.168.0.2 (the other seven are using DHCP)

SR2024P Switch static IP address: 192.168.0.3

DHCP services by Windows DHCP server

Proposed new config:

IP address range: 172.16.0.0 – 172.16.1.254

Gateway: 172.16.0.1

AP121 static IP address: 172.16.0.2 (the other seven are using DHCP)

SR2024P Switch static IP address: 172.16.0.3

DHCP services by new firewall

I’ve added a rule for CAPWAP on the new firewall.

I’d appreciate some clarification on the process to make the above changes, so I’m not in a position where any of the Aerohive devices are uncontactable. I only have the one PoE switch. These are my thoughts.

1)     Disable DHCP services on new firewall

2)     Connect Aerohive switch to new Firewall, so it is currently connected to existing firewall and main firewall

3)     On the access point with a static IP address, run the following commands via SSH to update the static ip address, netmask and default gateway:

int mgt0 ip 172.16.0.2/23

ip route default gateway 172.16.0.1

4)     On the switch, run the following commands via SSH to update the static ip address, netmask and default gateway:

int mgt0 ip 172.16.0.3/23

ip route default gateway 172.16.0.1

5)     Disconnect Aerohive switch from current firewall

6)     Enable DHCP services on new firewall

7)     Renew DHCP leases on the 7 AP121s.  Is there an easier way of doing this than connecting to each AP directly and running the following command:

int mgt0 dhcp-client

Does that sound about right? Is there anything that I’ve missed? No items are listed under Advanced Configuration>Common Objects>DHCP Server and Relay.

If I update the Static IP Addresses, Netmask and Default Gateway via SSH, do the access points and switch need a restart?

Many thanks,

Tom

6 REPLIES 6

tom_aston
New Contributor

Hi Sam, we successfully moved our Wi-Fi network over to the new IP range and gateway today. Thanks for your help.

Tom

tom_aston
New Contributor

Hi Sam,

Thanks again for your response. Static addresses it is then.

I'm scheduled to make the changes tomorrow so i'll update then and hopefully be able to mark this question as answered.

Kind regards,

Tom

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

We don't have a good way to force a DHCP renew for the AP. A reboot would technically count, but the DHCP server should still have a record of the device so it'll likely get the same address unless we leave it disconnected long enough for the DHCP lease half life to run out (or we clear the DHCP server records). I think setting the static addresses would be good, at least for the roll over to the new DHCP, after that as long as your subnets are worked out in regards to the VLANs on the switch ports, you should be okay to switch off of static if you want to.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Perhaps it would be easier to just designate them all static IP addresses in the new range. Update those seven first, then the AP with the static IP and finally the switch. Once the switch restarts everything should be connected OK.

GTM-P2G8KFN