cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Aerohive network to new IP address range. Updating ip addresses and default gateway for access points and switch.

Moving Aerohive network to new IP address range. Updating ip addresses and default gateway for access points and switch.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

We’re moving to a new firewall and providing a new IP address range for our Aerohive network and Wi-Fi devices, meaning that we’ll need to update the Static IP Address, Netmask and Default Gateway for our Aerohive Switch (SR2024P) and eight Access Points (AP121).

Currently, our Windows DHCP server provides DHCP services to WiFi devices and seven of the AP121. The other AP and switch both have static IP addresses. Our new firewall will provide DHCP services for the Aerohive network and all WiFi devices.

Versions:

APs and switch: 6.5r8

HiveManager Online: 8.1r2

Current config:

IP address range: 192.168.0.0-192.168.3.254

Gateway: 192.168.0.23

AP121 static IP address: 192.168.0.2 (the other seven are using DHCP)

SR2024P Switch static IP address: 192.168.0.3

DHCP services by Windows DHCP server

Proposed new config:

IP address range: 172.16.0.0 – 172.16.1.254

Gateway: 172.16.0.1

AP121 static IP address: 172.16.0.2 (the other seven are using DHCP)

SR2024P Switch static IP address: 172.16.0.3

DHCP services by new firewall

I’ve added a rule for CAPWAP on the new firewall.

I’d appreciate some clarification on the process to make the above changes, so I’m not in a position where any of the Aerohive devices are uncontactable. I only have the one PoE switch. These are my thoughts.

1)     Disable DHCP services on new firewall

2)     Connect Aerohive switch to new Firewall, so it is currently connected to existing firewall and main firewall

3)     On the access point with a static IP address, run the following commands via SSH to update the static ip address, netmask and default gateway:

int mgt0 ip 172.16.0.2/23

ip route default gateway 172.16.0.1

4)     On the switch, run the following commands via SSH to update the static ip address, netmask and default gateway:

int mgt0 ip 172.16.0.3/23

ip route default gateway 172.16.0.1

5)     Disconnect Aerohive switch from current firewall

6)     Enable DHCP services on new firewall

7)     Renew DHCP leases on the 7 AP121s.  Is there an easier way of doing this than connecting to each AP directly and running the following command:

int mgt0 dhcp-client

Does that sound about right? Is there anything that I’ve missed? No items are listed under Advanced Configuration>Common Objects>DHCP Server and Relay.

If I update the Static IP Addresses, Netmask and Default Gateway via SSH, do the access points and switch need a restart?

Many thanks,

Tom

6 REPLIES 6

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the response. That's good news!

Noted re: save config.

I'll update the AP and switch via Hivemanager then. I did have a go at this yesterday, unsuccessfully, with the AP but i'm almost certain that was down to the new firewall being configured incorrectly. I've sorted that now.

Is there a way I can get the other APs to renew their DHCP leases via HiveManager? I assumed i'd have to directly connect to each unit as I'd struggle to connect with them being in a different IP range and subnet to the switch.

Kind regards,

Tom

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

You're spot on with your steps, I would only add that you'll want to run the command "save config" after your configuration changes to make sure they stick. I'm a little curious why you aren't making these adjustments in the HiveManager GUI? Also, the configuration in the GUI will need to match the CLI, otherwise the CLI configuration will get over-written when you push an update to the APs, just something to keep in mind.

GTM-P2G8KFN