cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with connections on AP230

Problems with connections on AP230

beheer1
New Contributor

We have 2 AP230's running HiveOS 8.4r4 build-207528. They are connected to a SR2208P Switch.

When I login to Hivemanager, I have several users showing up as having a Poor connection. These users are at the most 4 meters (12ft) from the AP's, in an open space.

When I do a speedtest on my phone, I get speeds varying from 10% to 90% of the available bandwidth.

At times users have a full 3 bars, but cannot get a single bit through the connection.

So in short, the wifi is quite unreliable.

Also when I check the connected clients, the session time tells me they are connected since 1970 (session time 17814 Days 10 Hrs 26 Mins 26 Secs).

Clients are connected through PPSK, depending on the password a user gets pointed to the local or guest network.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue?

8 REPLIES 8

beheer1
New Contributor

The connection seems to be made on channel 1 2.4GHz, 20MHz in 802.11n, MCS-index 15. So that looks normal enough.

I must miss a setting in the Guest network setup...

beheer1
New Contributor

Still not working . Then trying to connect to the WiFi I get time-outs, or no assigned IP. And moments later, I can login fine.

When trying to login through a Guest account, it never works anymore (strange thing is, nothing has changed in our network since it did work).

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks very much for that tech data. I've emailed you with a more detailed response and data explanation, but overall we saw:

The AP is unable to reach the NTP server, we'd need to make sure UDP 123 is allowed on your firewall/content filters.

We're seeing no neighbors that are overlapping signal and causing packet damage, which is good news (to see this, check for "show acsp neighbors").

We're seeing a 15% rx retry rate and 40% CRC failure rate on the 2.4GHz radio (to see this, check for "show interface wifi0 _count". This means a decent portion of your wireless signal is damaged and needs to be resent until it is readable.

We're seeing no interference to speak of on the 5GHz radio. I'm wondering if we can turn off 2.4GHz in a test area to see if things improve when only using 5GHz radio? This will help to either prove or rule out interference as the cause of the issues.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

If you can send me tech data at communityhelp@aerohive.com, I can take a look and start narrowing down the issue for you.

You can get tech data from the CLI of the AP, or following these steps, depending on your HiveManager platform.

From the CLI: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Collecting-Tech-Data-via-CLI

HiveManager Classic (myhive.aerohive.com): Monitor> Select the check box next to the AP> Utilities> Get tech data

HiveManager (formerly NG, cloud.aerohive.com): Tools> Utilities> Get tech data> Check the box next to the AP> Get tech data (at the top of the new page this time)

GTM-P2G8KFN