cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some PCs seem bound to a single AP, they refuse to handoff even when out of range of that AP, instead it shows no SSIDs at all, other PCs in the same room show the networks and can connect via other APs.

Some PCs seem bound to a single AP, they refuse to handoff even when out of range of that AP, instead it shows no SSIDs at all, other PCs in the same room show the networks and can connect via other APs.

amandahagen
New Contributor

I have a small, simple, flat network. Single VLAN, single building, 3 floors, 14 APs, and 100-200 devices at any given time, all using the default profile. I am in the midst of a staggered upgrade from AP330s to AP650s, the AP that is holding these clients hostage is the last remaining AP330, on HiveOS 6.5r4 (showing as the latest stable version) and the other 13 are running 10.0r4 and r5 (staggering the updates to minimize disruption). The policies are the same throughout, most settings are default or auto. I am hesitant about swapping that last one to see if it solves the issue because when I disconnect it the handful of machines effected just loose connectivity altogether. The devices effected are all windows machines but varied OS versions.  It's quite strange because one of the laptops experiencing this is located so far away from the AP there are at least 5 APs closer to in, one directly in between them and the signal strength is so weak the connection cuts in and out.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ashley_finch
Contributor III

Just to add to what Sam has said, you say that some of these PCs cannot see the SSID broadcast by the 650's at all? I'd say there could be two possible causes for that particular issue: first of all the AP may be broadcasting on a channel that the client device can't use. Alternatively the 650 may be using a AX radio profile and therefore you'd need to either update the devices drivers or change the radio profile of the AP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

amandahagen
New Contributor

This was it! Thank you so much, I have changed to wifi0 profile on all APs and the devices are connecting where they should be now. I'm going to have to investigate why just those few don't like the AX profile, but swapping the profiles at least gets everyone back connected.

amandahagen
New Contributor

These were some good tweaks for my configuration, thank you very much. That 330 won't take any updates, kicks back a CLI error, but I am just going to replace it now that I at least have a handle whats happening with these devices,

ashley_finch
Contributor III

Just to add to what Sam has said, you say that some of these PCs cannot see the SSID broadcast by the 650's at all? I'd say there could be two possible causes for that particular issue: first of all the AP may be broadcasting on a channel that the client device can't use. Alternatively the 650 may be using a AX radio profile and therefore you'd need to either update the devices drivers or change the radio profile of the AP.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

The current recommended version for the 330 is 6.5r12, could you update to that and see if the issue is still present? You can check the latest recommended version here- https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/question/0D50c00005jmpq9CAA/aerohive-hiveos-access-point-mat.... We could also disable lower data rates to encourage client devices to connect to APs that are closer to them. You can do this in HiveManager by going to Configure> Opening the Network Policy> Opening the SSID> Expand Additional Settings> Customize Optional Settings> Data rates will be at the top. I'd recommend leaving the MCS rates where they are, disabling 1-9 in the 2.4GHz section, and 6&9 in the 5GHz section.

GTM-P2G8KFN