Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SR2348P SFP+ Copper, Overall VLAN questions

SR2348P SFP+ Copper, Overall VLAN questions

cado
New Contributor II

Howdy!

I'm looking at purchasing a SR2348P switch used and wanted to understand if there are any concerns using some or all of the SFP+ Ports with Copper Base T Adapters with 10 gig speeds. Has anyone tried this or found documentation for this specific router that say it is supported? There is documentation for the https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/8.2r1/hm/full/Content/hw/sr/SR2124P.htm SR2124P that directly mentions its ports CAN accomodate any combination of copper or fiber SFP+ modules. But I can't find anything that says this applies. 

Additionally, a perhaps dumb question is are there any issues using this Switch to manage vlans on my network. Another post suggests this Switch shouldn't be used as a "Core" network switch. I largely envision my topology will be something like ONT > PFSENSE Box > This Switch > Cameras, my NVR server, etc

And I'd like to make probably 3 VLANS for my needs that this switch would manage.

The reason I ask about the copper is I have copper ethernet to a few rooms where I'd like to be able to push 10 gig from this switch to.

I'm new to this homelab world so appreciate any corrections or clarifications.

Thanks very much,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cado
New Contributor II

Would have been nice if ExtremeNetworks responded about their own products on the various places I reached out to them... However I can confirm this does work at least with the Wiitech SFP+ to RJ45 10 gig adapters I picked up on Amazon "For Dell Force 10s". These adapters are working both for 10 gig speeds and also for a 2.5 gbps adapter I have as well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

cado
New Contributor II

Thank you, yeah I saw the same datasheet. I'll just buy and try it I suppose! I also sent an email to an Extreme networks inbox maybe someone there could find out for me one day. 

That sheet actually slightly increased my suspicion it wouldn't be supported because they don't list the adapter there but do list a bunch of other SFP+ adapters.

GTM-P2G8KFN