Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What WIPS actually do ?

What WIPS actually do ?

prashan
New Contributor III

Hi Team,

I configured WIPS option in HM based on Detect rogue access points based on hosted SSIDs and encryption type and Enable rogue client reporting

When I go to monitoring->Security I only see unathorized APs and Clients. Is that what WIPS mean ?

Hope I'm not asking foolish question 🙂

8 REPLIES 8

prashan
New Contributor III

Thank you Sam. If it is rouge AP, how can i classify as rouge one ?

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Right, if you think these are actual rouge APs you can mitigate them to protect your network. However, before you do so, you should research the wireless standards and legislature for your area as there are strict rules around mitigation and when it is allowed. In general it is pretty restricted so be sure your local area statutes and laws allow this function.

prashan
New Contributor III

I dont find Rogue option in Classify

3864ded1dd1546ab836cc52574dd7216_0690c000006G4vVAAS.png

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

WIPs is meant to find unauthorized devices and clients in your network space so that you are aware of where potential attacks could come from. It gives you the option to mitigate any unknown devices in your network to protect against malicious or unwanted clients. You can either classify the devices that WIPS has found for you as Neighbors, which are known devices that you trust are not malicious towards your network, or you can classify them as Rouge and mitigate them.

You can read more about what WIPS does here: https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/ng/Content/gui/configuration/configuring-wireless-intrusion-prevention-system.htm?Highlight=WIPS

GTM-P2G8KFN