cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't my switch 'take' a device name update via HiveManager? 2 dozen switches and 2 of them seem to 'ignore' being renamed.

Why won't my switch 'take' a device name update via HiveManager? 2 dozen switches and 2 of them seem to 'ignore' being renamed.

bear
New Contributor III

I have dozens of Aerohive switches and APs, and I've run into a problem recently where one of my switches doesn't 'take' the update when I change the device's name in HM.

Consider this scenario:

1. Unpack SR2348P, add serial number to HM, boot device, update firmware, reboot device into 1.0.1.26
  2. Edit device properties, change name from AH-Switch to BEARSWITCH
  3. Click "Configuration Audit" (the [!] button showing there's a change) and see that "Modified Device Configuration(BEARSWITCH)" shows that the device has a device name change ready to go
  4. 'Update' device using the update button - now the green checkmark has gone away!
  5. .... but HiveManager still says the device is called AH-Switch, even two days later. I can't rename it! 😞

It worked just fine with 20 other switches, but so far I've found 2 switches that do this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bear
New Contributor III

After connecting to the device via SSH, I noticed that the device had the correct name, it just didn't display the correct name in the HM device list.

I don't know if this is a known workaround, but stopping and starting the HM agent worked for me, without resetting the switch:

1. SSH to the device
  2. run 'application stop hiveagent' (you will get disconnected from the SSH session)
  3. SSH to the device again
  4. run 'application start hiveagent'
  5. wait about 30 seconds and run 'show hivemanager status' and you should be connected

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

bear
New Contributor III

After connecting to the device via SSH, I noticed that the device had the correct name, it just didn't display the correct name in the HM device list.

I don't know if this is a known workaround, but stopping and starting the HM agent worked for me, without resetting the switch:

1. SSH to the device
  2. run 'application stop hiveagent' (you will get disconnected from the SSH session)
  3. SSH to the device again
  4. run 'application start hiveagent'
  5. wait about 30 seconds and run 'show hivemanager status' and you should be connected
GTM-P2G8KFN