cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDX 6740T not seeing USB drive

VDX 6740T not seeing USB drive

FLind4085
New Contributor

Hello all, I am trying to verify that a Brocade USB stick is functional. I have uploaded a NOS to the thumbdrive which works on my laptop however when I enter the command "usb on" while consoled into the 6740T switch I get the following error message.

=================================================================

sw0# usb on
Trying to enable USB device. Please wait...
Fail to enable USB storage device. Error:Device is not found or not formatted

=================================================================

This is a Brocade thumbdrive but the switch is not seeing it at all. We are using a newer thumbdrive that came with a set of newer VDX switches we purchased could that be the issue?

4 REPLIES 4

Deep_Bakul_Bhoj
Extreme Employee

what is the VDX version?
You can try disable and re-enable usb by using "usb off" and "usb on".

Other option is actually reformatting it.
https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000085660

I did try steps to format the USB stick however I notice in the instructions they state what to do for a 2gb and 4gb. However, this Brocade thumbdrive is an 8gb drive. Could that be the overall issue here as it came originally with newer switches. Both older switches are running NOS 6.0.1. I am wondering if the size of the drive is somehow an issue. 

Truyen_Phan
Extreme Employee

If a previous USB thumbdrive was not gracefully remove by using 'usb off', then you can encounter this error. A reboot is needed to clear this error.

I did reboot the switch and in fact did a cold reboot and the issue persisted. I know the drive does work as I used my laptop to upload the NOS onto it however for some reason the switch does not recognize the thumb drive. 

GTM-P2G8KFN