cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDX6740 - sudden crash and lost all config... how to back to external?

VDX6740 - sudden crash and lost all config... how to back to external?

mbze430
New Contributor II

all of the sudden the VDX6740 just "crashed"... and it restarted itself... but after reload itself.  All the license was intact.  However, all my config is gone.

So my question is, is there a way to backup the config to an external source so if this happens again I can just restore?

when I do a #copy running-config startup-config

"This operation is not supported in logical chassis mode."

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Michael_Morey
Extreme Employee

Sorry to hear that you had this issue.

Starting with your last question; the configuration on a Logical Chassis setup is persistent and managed by the principal node.  Every time you make a config change it is automatically saved to startup and sent to the principal node so there is no need to do a "copy run start".  The great thing about this is if a device gets defaulted, when it reloads and joins the VCS fabric again, it will download the original config from the principal and recover.

Regarding backing up your config to an external location, this can be done with the "copy" command:

copy run [ftp://|scp://|sftp://|tftp://|usb://|flash://]

i.e:

VDX1# copy running-config scp://user:password@10.10.10.23//tftp/home/mmorey
2024/05/02-14:24:09, [DCM-1108], 37610, M2 | Active, INFO, VDX8770-8, Running configuration file has been uploaded successfully to the remote location.

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Extreme Networks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Michael_Morey
Extreme Employee

Sorry to hear that you had this issue.

Starting with your last question; the configuration on a Logical Chassis setup is persistent and managed by the principal node.  Every time you make a config change it is automatically saved to startup and sent to the principal node so there is no need to do a "copy run start".  The great thing about this is if a device gets defaulted, when it reloads and joins the VCS fabric again, it will download the original config from the principal and recover.

Regarding backing up your config to an external location, this can be done with the "copy" command:

copy run [ftp://|scp://|sftp://|tftp://|usb://|flash://]

i.e:

VDX1# copy running-config scp://user:password@10.10.10.23//tftp/home/mmorey
2024/05/02-14:24:09, [DCM-1108], 37610, M2 | Active, INFO, VDX8770-8, Running configuration file has been uploaded successfully to the remote location.

Michael Morey
Extreme Networks

when using usb:// does it have to be a Brocade USB drive or any will work?

If you are running the latest version (NOS 7.4.1x) you should be able to use an unbranded USB

Michael Morey
Extreme Networks

Deep_Bakul_Bhoj
Extreme Employee

To copy to an external source, you can use below command: 

copy running-config scp://<username>:<password>@hostname/<filepath>

# copy running-config
Possible completions:
flash:// copy running-config to local flash. path syntax flash://<filename>
ftp:// copy running-config to FTP server. URL syntax for IPv4 ftp://<username>:<password>@hostname/<filepath>. URL syntax for IPv6 ftp://<username>:<password>@[hostname]/<filepath>.
scp:// copy running-config to SCP server. URL syntax for IPv4 scp://<username>:<password>@hostname/<filepath>. URL syntax for IPv6 scp://<username>:<password>@[hostname]/<filepath>.
sftp:// copy running-config to SFTP server. URL syntax for IPv4 sftp://<username>:<password>@hostname/<filepath>. URL syntax for IPv6 sftp://<username>:<password>@[hostname]/<filepath>.
startup-config copy from running-config to startup-config
tftp:// copy running-config to TFTP server. URL syntax for IPv4 tftp://@hostname/<filepath>.
usb:// copy running-config to USB. path syntax usb://<filename>

GTM-P2G8KFN