cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Client AP 122s from one Account to Another

Migrate Client AP 122s from one Account to Another

RIsaac
New Contributor

My company has recently taken over the IT management of a local business with nearly 30 AP122s throughout their building.  Their former IT provider has moved their APs to a separate Extreme Cloud IQ account along with their licenses for the APs for temporary management purposes.  As this account is still under their company, we need to migrate their APs and configurations over to our own account, and I’m wanting to make sure we’re doing this right.

As I understand it, we should just be able to remove the devices and licenses from their current account, then onboard them into our account.  Is it really that simple, or is there a more in depth process that we will need to perform?  Also, will the current configurations carry over to the new account, or will he APs need to be reconfigured once they are on our account, or can I export/import their current configurations? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi RIsaac, yes it really is that simple! The APs will not keep their configuration when you move them out of the first XIQ instance so there will be a brief downtime while the APs connect to the new XIQ instance and get a configuration update from the new instance. To minimize downtime I would recommend taking the following steps in this order: 

1. Build your configuration in the new XIQ instance before moving the APs over to that inventory. You can export the configuration from the first XIQ instance by clicking on the silhouette icon in the top right hand corner of XIQ> Global Settings> VIQ Management (left hand side menu, under the Administration header)> Export VIQ. Then go to the same page in your new XIQ instance and click Import VIQ. 
  2. Move your licenses over to the new XIQ instance
  3. Remove your APs from the original device inventory (this will start the down time as the APs should reset once removed from the device inventory)
  4. Onboard the APs to the new device inventory and set the network policy you want them to use during the onboarding process. This will ensure that the APs will get a configuration update as soon as they reach the new XIQ instance. Once the AP reboots as part of the configuration update, it will come back online with your network settings and your network will be back up again. 

It won’t hurt anything to do things in a different order than I’ve listed above, but you can increase your network downtime if you don’t have things set up for the APs before you move them over to the new device inventory. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RIsaac
New Contributor

@Sam Pirok  Thank you so much for such an in depth response!  That answered all of my questions quite well!  

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi RIsaac, yes it really is that simple! The APs will not keep their configuration when you move them out of the first XIQ instance so there will be a brief downtime while the APs connect to the new XIQ instance and get a configuration update from the new instance. To minimize downtime I would recommend taking the following steps in this order: 

1. Build your configuration in the new XIQ instance before moving the APs over to that inventory. You can export the configuration from the first XIQ instance by clicking on the silhouette icon in the top right hand corner of XIQ> Global Settings> VIQ Management (left hand side menu, under the Administration header)> Export VIQ. Then go to the same page in your new XIQ instance and click Import VIQ. 
  2. Move your licenses over to the new XIQ instance
  3. Remove your APs from the original device inventory (this will start the down time as the APs should reset once removed from the device inventory)
  4. Onboard the APs to the new device inventory and set the network policy you want them to use during the onboarding process. This will ensure that the APs will get a configuration update as soon as they reach the new XIQ instance. Once the AP reboots as part of the configuration update, it will come back online with your network settings and your network will be back up again. 

It won’t hurt anything to do things in a different order than I’ve listed above, but you can increase your network downtime if you don’t have things set up for the APs before you move them over to the new device inventory. 

GTM-P2G8KFN