cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

a way to update port aliases, via LLDP?

a way to update port aliases, via LLDP?

Somebo_O_Rother
New Contributor
New (to enterprise networking) guy--Wondering if there would be a way to update port aliases, via LLDP, to avoid manually having to do it, which seems to not be very consistent where I work.

I know not all endpoint devices advertise LLDP out-of-the-box, but I'd be willing to do some configuring... it just seems like a saner way to handle knowing 'what's on the other end' questions.

TLDR: I guess I'm curious what other people do to handle aliasing...
6 REPLIES 6

Bastian_Sprotte
Extreme Employee
Hello,
in case you want to see the port alias in EMC Extreme Management Center (Netsight)
You can set the display and description-string, which will allow to query the Alias per SNMP

config port $(EVENT.USER_PORT) description-string $(n)
config port $(EVENT.USER_PORT) display-string $(n)

-

Matthew_Helm1
Extreme Employee
You could consider using the LLDP device discovery method for UPM scripting per the example below. This example was tested using EXOS 22.2.1.5 but should work with EXOS 16.2 or later.

This configuration assumes that the end-system device advertises System Name via LLDP. Because of the default timers, LLDP may take up to as long as 120 seconds to discover or "undiscover" a device. The port number ranges specified in the config upm event commands in this configuration example would be the ports where you would have systems using LLDP.

####
create upm profile nameport

disable clip

set var cli.out 0

show lldp port $(EVENT.USER_PORT) neigh detail

set var s $TCL(split ${cli.out} "\n")

set var i $TCL(lsearch $s *System\ Name\:*)

set var l $TCL(lindex $s $i)

set var n $TCL(lindex $l 3)

config port $(EVENT.USER_PORT) display-string $(n)

save

create upm profile unnameport

unconfig port $(EVENT.USER_PORT) display-string

save

configure upm event device-detect profile nameport ports 1-7

configure upm event device-undetect profile unnameport ports 1-7

GTM-P2G8KFN