cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can an ap650 be connected directly to a modem

can an ap650 be connected directly to a modem

GeraGlez_
New Contributor
can an ap650 be connected directly to a modem?
and that the modem assign an ip to the ap? or 
that the modem assign an ip to the ap? or assign a static ip and the gateway is the ip of the modem?

i'm new to this

thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

have you tried ping your modem from AP?

Can you ping other devices in the same network?

Can you pint the ip of you AP630?

What is the result?

Regards Stephan

GeraGlez_
New Contributor
I tell you that you can connect PC without problems, even an ATOM P30 was already connected without any configuration, more than just assigning an IP within the range of the modem and it connected perfectly, but then the AP650 cannot be directly connected to the modem? like the ap30?Thank you for your support

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Supplemental to Sam's answer,

I would like to clarify. The APs do not work as routers. Therefore, they cannot communicate with the Internet on their own.

Usually, one speaks of a modem when the device is only there to adapt the medium or the transmission signal.

If the device provides other services, it is usually a router.

Therefore, the question, can you connect to the "modem" other devices such as a laptop with ethernet and can this device comunicate without a special configuration?

Or if you need to configure the laptop. What do have to do to connect the laptop?

Regards Stephan

GeraGlez_
New Contributor
Hello, I will tell you that I did the tests both for ip by dhcp and static but in none of them I was successful, I could not connect the ap650 to the modem, even the modem does not tell me to connect the ap650, I already ruled out physical problems by changing the cable but that's not the mistake
GTM-P2G8KFN