cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Database Backup: How to securely mount a remote CIFS Share on Extreme Management Center

Database Backup: How to securely mount a remote CIFS Share on Extreme Management Center

ABPKN
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

unfortunately I can't mount a remote share on a ubuntu-based Extreme Management Center appliance (8.4.3.24) for ease of schedule automated backups.

After creating a local mounting point and modifying the /etc/fstab file, it is not possible for me to mount a CIFS remote share. Mounting CIFS remote shares requires the Ubuntu cifs-utils package to be installed on the host system - which is obviously missing on an unmodified XMC linux appliance.

What is the recommended way of mounting a remote share on a ubuntu-based XMC appliance?

Should I really upgrade and (post)install the cifs-utils apt packages on a productive XMC appliance? I'm not comfortable with that, because of the many unmet dependencies:

apt install cifs-utils
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
cifs-utils : Depends: libtalloc2 (>= 2.0.4~git20101213) but it is not going to be installed
libpython2.7 : Depends: libpython2.7-stdlib (= 2.7.15~rc1-1ubuntu0.1) but 2.7.15-
4ubuntu4~18.04.2 is to be installed
nplan : Depends: netplan.io
udev : Depends: libudev1 (= 237-3ubuntu10.31) but 237-3ubuntu10.39 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

What I have also discovered is that on the linux appliance are two post-install bash scripts:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24209 Apr 11 2020 .postinstall
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 17283 Apr 11 2020 .ubuntu-postinst.sh

One component of one of these scripts is the removal of netplan, which is a part of the host system since Ubuntu 18.04, but not used by the XMC linux appliance.

Maybe I missed something. What should I do?  Does anyone have a working solution for this problem?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

This is an XY-Problem.

Why donā€™t you use the correct, existing tools for that?

ABPKN
New Contributor

The objective is to mount a remote share on an Ubuntu-based XMC  for ease of file offloading or backup purposes. In this case a schedule backup of the current database on a EMC Isilon.

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

What exactly are you trying to achieve? What do you want to backup? Why do you want to do it manually? XMC has an implemented solution to backup its configuration.

Best regards
Stefan

GTM-P2G8KFN