Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Management Config Templates shows detailed XML content

Extreme Management Config Templates shows detailed XML content

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Not sure if anyone has tried the configuration template feature in Extreme Management 8.1 yet, but whenever I try to use it on EXOS devices (same on older versions of 8.1), I get whats shown in the screenshot below, taken from the current latest version 8.1.4.40:

31e3dca0a110450fa9b686739d84c871_RackMultipart20180930-102294-1rch77e-Template-Tool_inline.png

This works fine with EOS, i.e. it displays normal CLI as you would expect. But when using EXOS is displays detailed configuration in XML, I suspect that the reason is due to the .cfg file being used in the template for EXOS instead of the script file.

Is there perhaps an option I've missed, or is EXOS not supported yet?

Many thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

I had not thought about that. I would have thoughts people used scripting to modify used XOS switches.

I had always thought of templates being more for additions to the network. Those thoughts were also never taken very far because of the templates being XML.

A lot to think about there.

The template how it works today does not require "new switch", while the "load script" will add those commands one by one to the existing configuration. That is significant difference.

I do not know how many customers are using templates to new EXOS comparing how many customers are using templates for provisioning used EXOS.

Personally I do not like to change from current behavior to address issue 1 without addressing the issue 2 = Imagine the different behavior for EXOS compare to any other operating system.
Regards Zdeněk Pala

I don't think item 2 is an issue. Simply tftp the xsf to the new switch or put it on a thumb drive and

Sorry David.

I wanted to point that there are two issues:
Issue 1: let XMC create template from XSF not only from CFG
Issue 2: I am not aware of ability to replace current config with XSF at XOS

We can create FR for Issue 1 but until the Issue 2 is fixed the customer will not see any benefit

Z.
Regards Zdeněk Pala

Pala,

I am a little confused by your last comment.
"One part of the FR is ability to create XSF (clear text) template."

Is there already a feature request for this?
GTM-P2G8KFN