Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Management Config Templates shows detailed XML content

Extreme Management Config Templates shows detailed XML content

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Not sure if anyone has tried the configuration template feature in Extreme Management 8.1 yet, but whenever I try to use it on EXOS devices (same on older versions of 8.1), I get whats shown in the screenshot below, taken from the current latest version 8.1.4.40:

31e3dca0a110450fa9b686739d84c871_RackMultipart20180930-102294-1rch77e-Template-Tool_inline.png

This works fine with EOS, i.e. it displays normal CLI as you would expect. But when using EXOS is displays detailed configuration in XML, I suspect that the reason is due to the .cfg file being used in the template for EXOS instead of the script file.

Is there perhaps an option I've missed, or is EXOS not supported yet?

Many thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

One part of the FR is ability to create XSF (clear text) template. Second part of the FR is ability of XOS to use the XSF as configuration. 22.6 does offer only CFG files if I execute CLI command:

use configuration

Z.
Regards Zdeněk Pala

I am not aware of such FR. Feel free to create FR directly through GTAC or through local Extreme SE.

I have met several customers all the same use case:
One switch is configured and tested. Then partner does create template for customer (from the working config) and then the customer can use it.

I see huge benefit in the XSF instead of CFG if modification of the template is needed. However I do not see template modification very often.

Please share your use cases so the team can understand importance and assign priority to your FR.

Thank you.

Z.
Regards Zdeněk Pala

So lets adjust the conversation then.

Are there plans to make clear text templates an option?
If not, can that be a feature request?

As it stands NONE of our customers see config templates as a feature because they don't know how to work with XML and do not have the time or interest to learn. A huge part of the appeal of XOS for Cisco converts is the ease of learning the CLI and simplicity of configuring the purple boxes.

Fortunately part of our process includes giving customers the config scripts we create and load onto the switches which they are able to use as templates for the addition of new closets.

Thanks,

I believe the answer is that it is native way = if you create template it does take the XML file
Regards Zdeněk Pala

The config is stored multiple ways. If we configure in clear text, view the config on the switch in clear text, and download the config from NetSight in clear txt...

Why make people use XML for templates?
GTM-P2G8KFN