Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Netlogin MAC-based auth problems

Netlogin MAC-based auth problems

Ilya_Semenov
Contributor
Hello, everybody,

I've got a recommendation from Extreme's empoloyee (he is really expert!) to configure netlogin mac-based auth. (I need it to bring more data like Device Type and Operationg System from identity-management on Summits to Netsight. NAC is also involved).

He said:

"For MAC-auth your users does not need to enter anything at all ā€“ they just connecting to the network as usual and NAC automatically does the mac-auth (for visibility purpose only) . When you add ā€œswitchā€ into the NAC switch database , you can select ā€œno attribute to send backā€ , in this case MAC-auth happens but no policy will be applied to the port , so clients connected as usual but NAC knows everything about the client and provide this details in NMS screens/reports."

How can I configure that "MAC-auth for visibility purpose only"? I've tried to do so many times and every time switch just blocks a port when I attach any device...

Please, help! Does somebody understand how exactly should I do configure mac-based netlogin auth on summit taking into the consideration the recommendation above?

Many thanks in advance,

Ilya

15 REPLIES 15

Hi Ilya,

Local database can also be used for MAC authentication without Radius server. In the case of using local database of switch, you need following configurations:

configure netlogin mac authentication database-order local
create netlogin local-user "" ""

ex> create netlogin local-user "507B9DD58ECE" "507B9DD58ECE"

You have configured "NTLG" VLAN as netlogin VLAN and it means that NTLG VLAN will be used for unauthenticated clients. You need to assign a VLAN to be used for MAC authenticated clients via one of either two ways in below:
(Let say the MAC authenticated clients should be assigned into VLAN3139)

i. Pre-configure the VLAN on the port 17

configure vlan VLAN3139 add port 17

Port 17 will be assigned to VLAN3139 after MAC authentication.

ii. Use VLAN-VSA

configure netlogin local-user " vlan-vsa [tagged | untagged] VLAN3139

Since you configured port mode as "mac-based-vlan" (not port-based-vlan), I think that using VLAN-VSA would be proper way for the mode.

I hope this helps...

Hello, Karthik,

thanks for your reply. I haven't RADIUS configured yet. Is it really required? Could it be local authentication?

Could you please explain this in more details - "since you do not want any action taken by NAC you also need to add the port to intended VLAN (ISP mode)." - what do you mean?

Many thanks in advance,

Ilya

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
Maybe you need to set netlogin auth optional instead of required.

configure netlogin port 1:36 authentication mode optional

The final changes:

# Module netLogin configuration.
#
configure netlogin move-fail-action authenticate
configure netlogin vlan NTLG
enable netlogin mac
configure netlogin add mac-list ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff 48 ports 17
enable netlogin ports 17 mac
configure netlogin ports 17 mode mac-based-vlans
configure netlogin ports 17 no-restart
configure netlogin ports 17 allow egress-traffic all_cast
* X430-48t.41 #

The message about MacListEmpty is gone, but it's stll:

05/27/2017 13:11:16.16 Authentication failed for Network Login MAC user F46D041BD09B Mac F4:6D:04:1B:D0:9B port 17

But it seems like the port isn't blocked now (I am out of the office and try remotely)

I have some config changes now:

create vlan "NTLG"

# Module netLogin configuration.
#
configure netlogin move-fail-action authenticate
configure netlogin vlan NTLG
enable netlogin mac
enable netlogin ports 17 mac
configure netlogin ports 17 mode mac-based-vlans
configure netlogin ports 17 no-restart
configure netlogin ports 17 allow egress-traffic all_cast

After these changes I got to log:

05/27/2017 13:04:31.17 Authentication failed for Network Login MAC user F4:6D:04:1B:D0:9B Mac F4:6D:04:1B:D0:9B port 17
05/27/2017 13:04:31.17 Mac authentication was initiated, but mac-list for virtual router VR-Default is empty

Should I add all ports to NTLG vlan as tagged?

GTM-P2G8KFN