cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetSight 6.3 not dropping changed links (LLDP)

NetSight 6.3 not dropping changed links (LLDP)

Fredrik_Bj
New Contributor
We have one specific link that USED to be connected to two switches, SWaa and SWab, port 1:2 on both sides. The link was detected in NetSight via LLDP and EDP and showed up just fine on the OneView map. Then a new link was established between the switches (LACP port group using ports 1:3 and 1:4 on both sides, 1:3 to 1:3, 1:4 to 1:4) and the port 1:2 link was disconnected. Port 1:2 on each switch was then "re-used" and connected to a FortiGate firewall that has LLDP disabled (due to limitations in the Forti LLDP implementation). The problem is that the link still shows as connected between SWaa and SWab.

There is no LLDP or EDP neighbor on port 1:2 on any of the switches any more (since the links were re-routed to the FortiGate).

f68a91687f044cd5a13ddc41f657ad05_RackMultipart20160429-44484-13k7yy4-OneViewLLDP_inline.jpg

The top switches are the ones with the incorrect link. If the FortiGate has been visible, it would have been on top of those and connected to swirches aa and ab to their ports 1:2.

Is NetSight confused since the link was discovered using LLDP and EDP and now, the links are still up, it's just that there are no more LLDP/EDP packets seen over the link? Can I have NS rediscover the link without removing the switches from the map? In my opinion this should be automatic, and I should have a choice to remove the link that has changed.
5 REPLIES 5

Fredrik_Bj
New Contributor
David Coglianese, I haven't had that problem. If you can see the links with LLDP in the switches (both ends) they should appear in NS. If you want to use EDP for link discovery in NS, you need to check a box somewhere (in the map context, or when creating the map I believe). If you can't see the neighbor in the switch, NS won't see it either. NS can see links discovered with EDP, LLDP and CDP I believe.

show lldp neighbor
show edp port all

David Choi, thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to upgrade. Would you recommend 6.3.0.182 or 7.0.2 for a production environment with ~750 switches/stacks (1000 physical switches if counting all members in stacks)? NS is not entirely critical for the management of the network as there are other tools monitoring the critical aspects of the network.

/Fredrik

David_Choi
Extreme Employee
There are many improvements and fixes for displaying links using LLDP in new version of NetSight, 6.3.0.182 and 7.0.2. So it would be worth to take a look after upgrading your NetSight to the latest versions.

davidj_cogliane
Contributor
I have the opposite problem we have a few links that simply wont show up. I have been thinking about open a case but have not got around to it yet.

Thanks for starting the conversation.

Fredrik_Bj
New Contributor
Hi!

Thanks for the swift reply! We have refreshed and rediscovered both switches in the OneView map and refreshed the map itself (upper right corner by the search field) without success. I did find this:

2dfd92a3cf054f13bb8c8b3bdde942b0_RackMultipart20160429-70847-4728g-OneViewLDC2_inline.jpg

Apparently, NS is aware that the link no longer has an LLDP/EDP neighbor. Shouldn't the link have some kind of marking to reveal that in the map (different color, question mark or whatever)? I'd really like to see something in the map that tells me that the neighbor may have changed and have the option to break the link in a relatively simple way. Bug or feature? 🙂
GTM-P2G8KFN