cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Netsight TCL Scripting - Modifying Switch Banners

Netsight TCL Scripting - Modifying Switch Banners

Ed_McGuigan1
New Contributor III
I want to be able to make modifications to the after-login banner on my 4,000 switches. I would like to use a TCL script from within Netsight to do it.

I have the entire script working except that I found that the "configure banner" command is uniquely problematic. The command needs to be issued and then the text of the banner typed out in a terminal and finished with a blank line to denote the end of the banner.

The problem within a script is that when I issue the "configure banner after-login" command, there is no response of any kind from the switch. I want to be able to send the text of the banner, and I thought I could do it with:

CLI $bannerText

but that just times out.

In other situations where further input is required the idiom is typically:

SAVE config secondary
regexp {.*overwrite it?.*} ${CLI.OUT} foundit
IF ([info exists foundit]) THEN
CLI yes
ENDIF
So you issue a command and match on the CLI.OUT contents.

In this case it seems like the script just hangs on the banner command and times out.

JUST WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAS FOUND A WAY AROUND THIS.
I have a TCL script outside of Netsight that can do this but it's much better to allow all my colleagues to run the script from inside our management system.
6 REPLIES 6

Thanks Stephane. I haven't seen much documentation on the Python scripting but I certainly want to give it a go - want to learn Python anyway ( I know Perl and I learned TCL for the Extreme environment )

I found that even when my script timed out, I wasn't completing the banner command.
I couldn't find a method of sending the command plus the banner text at the switch. Assuming I had a string with the command and banner text in it, how would I use it to issue the command to the switch?

I tried:

configure banner after-login $bannerTextWithLeadingNewline

but that didn't seem to work ( maybe I missed the trailing blank line and newline ? )

There seems to be a command like:

CLI $string

but I can't find documentation beyond its use in some sample scripts.

Thanks for your help with this BTW.

Ed.

oh, and btw, starting with EMC 8.0.4 you have access to Python scripting too. I tested the dirty trick on an EXOS VM with Python.
GTM-P2G8KFN