cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XMC SSH log entry

XMC SSH log entry

Christopher_Tay
Contributor

I have recently switched my XMC 8.5.26 CLI credentials from Telnet to SSH.

When the CLI credentials were set to Telnet each time XMC logged in to a switch it would create a log entry. I suppressed those log entries and thought I would have to do the same for the SSH access.  After the transition I have noticed that there are no log entries to indicate that XMC has accessed the switch.  Does XMC access through SSH not generate a log entry or is the configuration incorrect and XMC is not logging in to the switches on a regular basis? The switches do log an entry when they are directly accessed through SSH by me.

Thank you,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi Chris,

There is a similar topic about every-15-minute XMC->EXOS logging in opened and apparently it’s used by XMC in regards to App Telemetry feature on EXOS with XMC 8.5. Might that be your case?

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Christopher_Tay
Contributor

Hi Tomasz,

I do not have the analytics package but the log file looks the same as I was seeing.

Maybe something was accidently turned on and got corrected when I changed the credentials.  I will take it as a good thing that XMC isn’t logging in every 15 minutes anymore.

Thank you for your help,

Chris

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi Chris,

There is a similar topic about every-15-minute XMC->EXOS logging in opened and apparently it’s used by XMC in regards to App Telemetry feature on EXOS with XMC 8.5. Might that be your case?

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

Christopher_Tay
Contributor

Hello Tomasz,

The switch itself would log that XMC had logged in and out.  This would also appear in the syslog on the XMC.

I have done some digging and now see the entries.  My confusion comes from before I changed the CLI credentials XMC was logging in to every switch about every 15 minutes now it only logs in once a day.  I am not sure why this changed.  I have looked in XMC under administration / System / Device Status Details and the polling seems to be happening and consistent with the assigned polling groups.

Thanks,

Chris

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi Christopher,

You mean the server or the switch logging an event?

If it’s on the switch side, do you mean EXOS or some other platform? It might be a matter of severity of this or that kind of connection method and logging feature settings. For example in EXOS (starting 22.1 AFAIR) you can issue ‘show cli journal’ to see your XMC logging in and doing things (nice auditing feature as it persists in NVRAM across reboots and crashes).

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

GTM-P2G8KFN