cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

ZTP+ Device configuration remains stucked at 80% when XIQ-SE sends staged configuration

ZTP+ Device configuration remains stucked at 80% when XIQ-SE sends staged configuration

Mancon
New Contributor

Environment :
-ExtremeCloud IQ - Site Engine 23.4.12.3
-Server JRE Version: 1.8.0_372
-ZTP POC device : 5320-48P-8XE-FabricEngine (9.0.2.0)

I've been working on deploying a Zero Touch Provisioning solution and encountered some difficulties when adding a device to a site.

The first steps of the process goes well :
1. My device gets a DHCP address from the DHCP server
2. My device contacts XIQ-SE using DNS information the DHCP server provided
3. the device starts ZTP+ process and shows up in "Network > Discovered" menu on XIQ-SE

From now on, I don't know if I missing something or doing something wrong :
I select my device to configure it, I choose its site and click on "Sync from Site" button to get the good parameters, I then go to "ZTP+ Device Settings" to configure an IP previously set to N/A ("Use Discovered" parameter is set to "Disabled" since the device IP stays to N/A when choosing any other parameter, which isn't really clear why to me)

Then, I save configuration and manually reboot my Switch (I also tried to wait for it to reboot). ZTP+ status change from Pending to Staged, and it's at this state things starts to become problematic.

From the Operations menu, I can see that the configuration gets stucked at 80%. (As shown on image below)

Configuration of ZTP device error.png

When I go to ZTP logging (from Administration > Diagnostics > Server > Server Log)

I can see the following logging message (I will also join a screenshot from the log message to this post) :

2024-08-29 11:14:45,913 ERROR [java.lang.Class] ManagementService is invalid value for enumeration com.extreme.common.ezconfig.configblocks.VlanConfigRole. Supported values are : OutOfBandMgmt, VLAN
2024-08-29 11:14:50,533 ERROR [java.lang.Class] ManagementService is invalid value for enumeration com.extreme.common.ezconfig.configblocks.VlanConfigRole. Supported values are : OutOfBandMgmt, VLAN
2024-08-29 11:14:50,537 ERROR [com.enterasys.netsight.server.webapps.monitor.ezConfig.ZtpPlusDeviceDispatcher] ZtpPlusDeviceDispatcher.doConfigurationPut:: java.lang.NullPointerException

By the way, I tried to set the parameter "Management Interface" in "ZTP+ Device Settings" from my ZTP configuration template both to "Out-Of-Band" and "Default", which didn't solve the issue.

Any help would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Robert_Haynes
Extreme Employee

Correction to my prior post.

For your  specific issue it is addressed in 23.7.10 where ManagementService was added. In 24.7.10 a new service ManagementClip has been added. Essentially in both cases the switch is advertising a type that SE does not understand in the version of SE you are using.

Keeping up to date with SE as you're also upgrade / using more recent switch firmware is always advised.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Robert_Haynes
Extreme Employee

Correction to my prior post.

For your  specific issue it is addressed in 23.7.10 where ManagementService was added. In 24.7.10 a new service ManagementClip has been added. Essentially in both cases the switch is advertising a type that SE does not understand in the version of SE you are using.

Keeping up to date with SE as you're also upgrade / using more recent switch firmware is always advised.

Hi,

Are you able to provide more information here?

We are seeing the same issue onboarding 4220's. We are running a fresh install of ExtremeCloud IQ - Site Engine 24.7.10.52 

Originally it was set to use the management and ip interface, however your information above has mentioned a new service "ManagementCLIP" which we have also tried with no difference.

Brent_Addis_0-1726045546860.png

Have tried:

Brent_Addis_1-1726045575701.png

The logs are very unhelpful:

Brent_Addis_2-1726045642428.png

Thankyou very much,

-----
-Brent Addis / Extreme Black Belt #491

New to Extreme? Check out the Welcome series here - https://training.extremenetworks.com/welcome-series-1
Want to join the official Extreme learners discord? Let me know!

For anyone having a similar issue

Using an older version of voss (8.8.2.0) helped me working with this issue. An update of XIQ-SE is mandatory to use most recent version of voss

Thanks everyone for your help

Ludovico_Steven
Extreme Employee

> then go to "ZTP+ Device Settings" to configure an IP previously set to N/A ("Use Discovered" parameter is set to "Disabled" since the device IP stays to N/A when choosing any other parameter, which isn't really clear why to me)

Maybe you should give us a screen shot of what you are doing there...

The switch came in with a DHCP IP on some VLAN (probably onboarding VLAN 4048); that pull down determines how much of that discovered data (DHCP IP & VLAN) you want to use. If you set it to IP & Mgmt interface, it will keep both, the IP will be made a static IP.

If you are happy with the VLAN, it is usually better to select "Mgmt interface" and then provide an IP range on same IP subnet but outside the DHCP scope.

Or else you disable, as you did, now you have to provide the IP range + select the VLAN you want to use; on FabEng/VOSS the only option that will work here is if you set Mgmt interface pull-down to value "Management Service", but for this to work you need to have under the same Site services a service flagged as mgmt:

Ludovico_Steven_0-1724934458766.png

you need to set that up under Service Definitions, and then assign that definition to your site:

Ludovico_Steven_1-1724934529519.png

Maybe you did not do that, hence the error message...

GTM-P2G8KFN