Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP 350 - Creating Mesh network

AP 350 - Creating Mesh network

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello there ! 

I got 2 AP350 Aerohive and i added them to ExtremeCLoud IQ, they are currently online.

I would like to create a mesh network in my home, because i need an efficiency network.

dc8fbf445a1e491d8c538dbbe70fe046_f3e6c5b6-47b9-4292-b090-e9f21572f02e.png

As you can see i activated “Backhaul Mesh Link” but it doesnt seem to work.

What i’m looking exactly is to use a mesh network between two AP to get a better coverage and performance between the two AP, and with the furthest to my ISP Router using one of its eth port to connect it to my switch.

But when i connect the eth0 port directly to my switch (who deliver data to my LAN) instead of my personnal router (for getting the internet data) the mesh network doesnt look to work and it appear offline on ExtremeCloud.

So my furthest AP with the Backaul Mesh Link doesnt communicate between the other one at all if it iesn’t  connected to the network directly with an enternet access.

It’s my first time by managing AP an creating mesh network, so if you need more/accurate explanations i’ll be here.

Thank,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

We have two guides on how to set up Mesh, which this article will link you to.  Just from your picture though, I’d recommend setting a static channel for both ends of the Mesh connection, you’ll want them on the same channel at all times and auto channel selection may prevent that. In general you’ll also want the APs on the same firmware version or as close to that as possible. Also we need a clear line of sight between the APs, no walls, trees, or obstacles of any kind. Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SamPirok
Community Manager

Mesh will not work well if you are trying to pass the signal through any walls or obstacles. If you can not see the remote AP directly from the portal AP, you will likely have a weak signal at the remote site at best, with frequent signal drops and interruptions. There are no settings that will fully mitigate the effects of not having a clear line of sight between the devices. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank for the reply, i’ll check them when i’ll get free time and i’ll be back for giving a feedback.

You’re right static channel will stabilize the connection it’s noted, APs are automatically updated with the last software i already did setup this.

The purpose of my mesh network is properly to go throught walls or any obsctacles with an high class products, because i have a bad electricity and BPL are useless, and the optical fiber is coming in few months so i won’t make any work to the house 

SamPirok
Community Manager

We have two guides on how to set up Mesh, which this article will link you to.  Just from your picture though, I’d recommend setting a static channel for both ends of the Mesh connection, you’ll want them on the same channel at all times and auto channel selection may prevent that. In general you’ll also want the APs on the same firmware version or as close to that as possible. Also we need a clear line of sight between the APs, no walls, trees, or obstacles of any kind. Hope that helps!

GTM-P2G8KFN