cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP's not showing changes from a Config update

AP's not showing changes from a Config update

systemscsn
Contributor III
Hi,

The vast majority of our AP’s are AP650(AH)’s, and were on 10.0.3r4

I cloned the current radio profile, edited that cloned one, enabling High Density, and upping the max devices from 100 to 175.

I then edited our Network Policy >> Device Template and selected that cloned/edited Radio Profile.

 I watched as the Audit icon turned orange, as it should, for all my AP’s.

 

After that I did a Complete Configuration Update.

 

Everything seemed to go well, the devices restarted, the audit icon went back to green and the AP’s all had the green connected icon.

 

Because I did a Complete Config Update that would restart the AP’s, I had to do all of this at night, after-hours.  So the next day, I login to XIQ and selected five AP’s individually and at random.  I click on the first AP, then Configure >> Interface Settings >> Wireless Interfaces and both wifi0 and wifi1 show the correct radio profile.  I do the same for the four other randomly selected AP’s, and three of them have the OLD radio profile.

 

I then export all the AP’s into a .csv file to make it easier to see what’s going on, and at a glance id say more than 50% of the AP’s did not take that radio profile on their wireless interfaces!!!!

 

Unreal.

The next thing i tried, was selecting a handful of the AP's that didn't reflect the changes after doing a full config update, and updated their firmware from 10.0.3r4 to 10.4.r4 which is the latest one.  Still the AP's don't show the changes made...... so frustrating

 

A long while back I’d had to make changes at a device level, I think a few may have even been to do with radio profiles, but I certainly didn’t do that many!!

To put that in perspective, we have 144 AP650(AH)’s, so 50+% is a HECK of a lot not taking that change!

This isn’t the first time an AP has not shown any changes made at the policy level… this is like some horrible recurring issue with this product.  Anyone else always having issues with AP’s not reflecting a change in policy, template, etc, level?  how did you resolve it (please don’t say set it the AP to defaults and do a complete config update)?

Thanks, Jason.

3 REPLIES 3

systemscsn
Contributor III

Sure enough, got them all how they should be.

I selected an AP, and then under Actions I select Revert Device to Template Defaults.  They need to change the wording, or somehow put a bit of clarity as to which Template Defaults they mean.  There is the AP default AP – the one right out of the box -, and there is an AP Default Template – if you clone and assign it – within the Network Policy.  If you don’t clone and assign an existing AP Template, it will use the out of the box AP template.  Confusing?  Because its out of the box, you cant change it, you have to clone it, and change the cloned one.

 

If you have your cloned and assigned AP template within your Network Policy, that is the AP template it will default to.  It was that template where I changed and assigned the radio profiles. So when I selected an AP and then Revert Device to Template Defaults, the AP took the template along with the radio profiles.

 

So, last night I got a lot of the AP’s done, and this morning finished that up.  All of our AP650’s now reflect that change, and are set to High Density as well as the max client change (from 100 to 175).  Why a lot of AP’s didn’t take the change in the first place I have no idea, as this that was the very AP template I edited with those changes.  Doesn’t make any sense.

Thanks,
J.

systemscsn
Contributor III
Well, well....

I may have found the fix for this myself.

I picked two random AP's that didn't take the full config update of the changes I made.  One by one, I then Selected the AP,  clicked on Actions and select Revert Device to Template Defaults.. Followed the prompts, clicked on Save and then Deploy.  I then repeated these steps on the other selected AP.

After a minute or so, they now show the correct radio profiles for both wifi0 and wifi1.

Thankfully it doesn't change their Name, IP address, etc., its whatever is in the Default Device Template.  PLEASE NOTE that I do have an an AP Template associated with my Network Policy.  I imagine if you don't, it will pull the defaults from the actual default AP template which probably wont help you.  So make sure in your network policy you have your cloned (cant make changes to the actual default template) AP Template in your Network Policy under Device Templates.

I still have a ton - guessing about 80 or so - of AP's that don't have the change I made, and so will be doing the above to those outside of production hours, and will post back how it goes.

Thanks,
J.

systemscsn
Contributor III
Well, i tried setting one of the AP's to use a Test Policy I created, and then back to the working production Network Policy, did a full update, and its still not reflecting the Radio Profile used in the Device Template >> Network Policy....

So frustrated.  There has to be an easy fix, because if I have to set each and every not-updated AP back to defaults, then re-config it and put it back in the Network Policy, that is going to take an age of late nights, and early mornings... not to mention that updating a damn AP should work, the product should work as advertised. 

I'm going to keep troubleshooting this myself, for now, and see if there is something that will fix this buggy platform, or at least get the Network Policy applied properly.

J.
GTM-P2G8KFN