cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP250 - Orange LED, I can console, assign an IP but no L2 link (switch LED is off)

AP250 - Orange LED, I can console, assign an IP but no L2 link (switch LED is off)

jrfigue
New Contributor

I recently purchased 5 AP250 and three of them onboarded without issues. Two of them are stuck with an Orange LED. One is running 8.2r3 and the other one 10.0.r9b. When I console into them I see them boot. I can log into the console, but not getting a DHCP address, switch LEDs are off for both APs with this issue (tried both Aerohive and Cisco switches). I’ve reset both (pressing button and by “reset config (bootstrap)” cli commands and no change.

I assigned a static IP (int mgt0 x.x.x.x/24) and if I try to ping the gateway or another IP host on the network (which I know is there) it says “Network is unreachable” if I type show int mgt0 it says “ERROR: failed to send message to dcd (attempt to send 12 bytes, actually sent -1 (err = 111 - Connection refused)

It’ll successfully ping its own IP address and 127.x.x.x but nothing in its own subnet including the gateway.

Should I attempt flashing them with an image via USB? Where can I get the latest image? (10.0.r9b)

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Could you try switching the port the AP is connected to with one of the working APs? It’s sounding like the AP isn’t able to reach your network, which could be a VLAN issue, a tagging issue, or a DHCP issue, all of which we can start testing by using a known good switch port.

Additionally this guide has a lot of good steps to take when trying to get an AP to connect: https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?n=000046466&q=CAPWAP%20troubleshooting

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

jrfigue
New Contributor

Thanks @Sam Pirok. Unfortunately, I do not have a support contract on these. I guess I’m out of luck at this point?

Thanks again for your assistance.

SamPirok
Community Manager

Thank you for testing those ports for me. You can perform a TFTP flash on these APs, but you would need to open a support case so a technician can enter that bootloader password for you. Unfortunately we aren’t able to give out the bootloader password. 

jrfigue
New Contributor

Sam,

Thanks for your response. I tried changing the APs to ports that are working. Say bad APs are A and B, and working APs are C and D. I switched ports so A and B are now connected to the ports where C and D were and vice versa. Not only are A and B not working on the ports previously working for C and D, but C and D have no problems on the ports previously used by A and B.

If I try to interrupt the boot process, I get 3 chances to type a password but none of the known default passwords work.

I was already familiar with the commands from the guide you linked above (found them mostly by typing ? on the CLI)

Is it possible to flash these APs via USB port? Can you share the password to interrupt the bootup process? I think at this point I might need a TFTP flash.

Thanks again for your time and help.

SamPirok
Community Manager

Could you try switching the port the AP is connected to with one of the working APs? It’s sounding like the AP isn’t able to reach your network, which could be a VLAN issue, a tagging issue, or a DHCP issue, all of which we can start testing by using a known good switch port.

Additionally this guide has a lot of good steps to take when trying to get an AP to connect: https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?n=000046466&q=CAPWAP%20troubleshooting

jrfigue
New Contributor

@Sam Pirok, I haven’t been able to connect to the APs again. They power on, the switch ports’ LEDs blink for a few seconds and they go dark. The APs still have a solid Amber LED and I can console into them but no network connection whatsoever. If I configure a static IP and try to ping it says “Network unreachable” I have reset both via CLI and reset button with no change in behavior. Any ideas of what else I can try?

Thanks!

GTM-P2G8KFN