Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guest Essentials Setup

Guest Essentials Setup

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

i would like to setup a Guest SSID using the new “Guest Essentials” features, so our guests can try to register on a web page and have to get approved by an employee. So far i am having troubles configuring the SSID, etc. 

I have created a SSID so it shows up in the guest insights as “up / green” and am able to see the ssid on mobile phone. When i try to access the SSID nothing happens. It only says no Internet connection and i stay on LTE. Are there any further configurations i have to do? Could’nt fint a real guide on how to set this up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RobertWilkinson
New Contributor III

I struggled with this the first time i setup XIQ, i found that you need to first clone the captive portal template you want to use then ‘apply’ it too a location\floor. Once i did that it all worked perfect.

P.s. i assumed that by just changing a predefined template and changing all the obvious activation sliders it would all just work but it didn’t. If its not clear what i mean please let me know and i’ll jump on one of my customers portals and take a few screenshots.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

admin32
New Contributor
I just can't get my head around how this guestessentials is all supposed to work.
I have followed the default open network demo and have a basic any policy where a guest can self register, they get a template agreement and get connected and that is working. I sort of follow that by changing templates you can then gather information from the client such as Social, email etc but the whole getting authorization or having other employees approve is really confusing and not well explained.
It would appear to be very configurable, with alot of options such as employees being able to pre-make codes or get codes sent to themselves in advance rather than expecting the guest to know their referees email but quite how this works with policies, etc is not immediately obvious to me at least.
I am unable to find anything like a real demo of this working, what it can and can't do? and how you actually apply any of it which seems a shame because I suspect it can do alot more than I can figure out with trial and error.
What for example are the users for? you can manually add them in advance,does this replace the traditional guest ppsk type arrangement of hivemanager and bypass the whole self registration?, im totally confused,
anybody got their head around this or has seem something that actually shows examples

RobertWilkinson
New Contributor III

I struggled with this the first time i setup XIQ, i found that you need to first clone the captive portal template you want to use then ‘apply’ it too a location\floor. Once i did that it all worked perfect.

P.s. i assumed that by just changing a predefined template and changing all the obvious activation sliders it would all just work but it didn’t. If its not clear what i mean please let me know and i’ll jump on one of my customers portals and take a few screenshots.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will try to make one when i am back at work. 

I managed to create my preferred solution for now via a captive web portal and self registration with employee approval.

Do you know if  there’s a way to limitate the range of the employees to approve a registration even further than just the e mail domain? Because i fear some of the employees are going to abuse this and i would like to create a pool of employees who are able to approve registrations.

Ash_Finch
Contributor III

If adding the separate profile doesn’t show the correct splash page, is it possible for you to screenshot your current guest SSID configuration please? It’s odd that it would show an Aerohive CWP.

GTM-P2G8KFN