cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often does the interface wifi(0/1) summary state change or update?

How often does the interface wifi(0/1) summary state change or update?

w1f1n00b
Contributor II

When doing RF tuning, the Summary State seems to be a good quick reference as to how the radio is performing regarding interference (good, fair, high collision) . After making radio power adjustments to APs, how long before the Summary State is recalculated or updated? Will rebooting the AP force this to recalculate?

From what I’ve read in the forums, ACSP Neighbor readings are updated by the AP as background scans are performed (default every 10 min) but I’ve yet to see if there is any way to force this or clear this. But I’m curious if the Summary State is the same.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, the output for “show int wifix” is showing real time data. The possible summary states and their thresholds are: 

Good: The CRC and Tx error rates are less than 5%, and channel utilization is less than 50%. 

Fair: The CRC and Tx error rates are less than 10%, and channel utilization is less than 65%. 

Channel RF Overcrowded: The channel utilization rate is 65% or greater. 

High Collision: The CRC error rate is 10% or greater. 

High Tx Error: The transmit error ration is more than 10%, which can occur when the RF environment is overcrowded and the collision rate is high. 

Some other commands I typically use when I’m looking at RSSI neighbors and the interface states are “show acsp channel-info detail” and the commands to clear the LLC counters. Looking at the channel info detail will show which channels have the least amount of interference/other traffic on them, and clearing the LLC counters will give you an idea of the amount of incoming traffic on a particular radio. This guide covers both commands and how to read the output: https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000079422 

Is that what you were looking for?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, the output for “show int wifix” is showing real time data. The possible summary states and their thresholds are: 

Good: The CRC and Tx error rates are less than 5%, and channel utilization is less than 50%. 

Fair: The CRC and Tx error rates are less than 10%, and channel utilization is less than 65%. 

Channel RF Overcrowded: The channel utilization rate is 65% or greater. 

High Collision: The CRC error rate is 10% or greater. 

High Tx Error: The transmit error ration is more than 10%, which can occur when the RF environment is overcrowded and the collision rate is high. 

Some other commands I typically use when I’m looking at RSSI neighbors and the interface states are “show acsp channel-info detail” and the commands to clear the LLC counters. Looking at the channel info detail will show which channels have the least amount of interference/other traffic on them, and clearing the LLC counters will give you an idea of the amount of incoming traffic on a particular radio. This guide covers both commands and how to read the output: https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000079422 

Is that what you were looking for?

w1f1n00b
Contributor II

bump

@Sam Pirok any ideas on radio summary state update times?

w1f1n00b
Contributor II

I appreciate the info. However I’m looking more specifically for how the AP calculates it’s interface summary state, and how often that calculation is updated. Because I’m trying to adjust radio power levels manually, I need to be able to see the effects of those changes to know if further adjustment is needed.

I’m open to other methods as well, but right now I’m primarily using “sh acsp neighbor” and looking at neighbor RSSI as well as “sh int wifi0/1” and looking at the summary state. I’d love to have a better idea of how and when these metrics get updated to speed up my configuration adjustments.

Cesar_Gomez
New Contributor

Hi,

• APs coordinate with each to determine the best channel and power levels for the environment using the Aerohive Channel Selection Protocol (ACSP). 
  • With ACSP, each AP reports their channel, power, client loads, FCS errors, neighbor APs and more to their neighbors to help APs coordinate which channels and power levels to select

If you wish change the time of background scan you need to create a SDR profiles, there you can change all about ACSP.

a0a2d38bc87f43cc9b319ef7890c15f4_1a4cd932-19af-424e-8e10-a55cce307807.png
SDR Profile

a0a2d38bc87f43cc9b319ef7890c15f4_d83513ee-eaaf-4508-9e8e-75bf8fc6ab7c.png

Regards,

GTM-P2G8KFN