cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage>Devices>Actions>Revert Device to Template - not working consistently.

Manage>Devices>Actions>Revert Device to Template - not working consistently.

w1f1n00b
Contributor II

My understanding of the “revert device to template” option is that it was to be used to wipe out any manual config changes that had been made in the past. However, I have come across multiple APs that this doesn’t work for. Is it possible that this option doesn’t work for devices that were manually edited prior to this feature being released? In this case would I have to delete, and re-onboard in order to restore compliance with the device template?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi John, we just tested this in our lab and the revert to device template feature worked as expected. However, we don’t have any APs that haven’t been updated since that feature came out, so we aren’t able to fully replicate your issue. I would imagine that a full reset (which you can do by removing and re-adding the device to your inventory, or by resetting the device via the CLI with “reset config”) will clear the issue up for you. If it does not, I’d recommend opening a support case so we can troubleshoot further. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

w1f1n00b
Contributor II

You can access from Extreme Portal (login required) > GTAC Knowledge (Self Solve Options).

You can use quotes to search for specific terms, check the box for “source-Knowledge” and sort by most recent.

I’m trying to keep up with posts for terms like “250” “650” “10.0” etc.

jose_gonzalez
Contributor

Possible AP configuration corruption over multiple firmware upgrades - the AP was using a Device Level change over the Radio Template offerings, and not correctly updating the configuration, even with a Complete Configuration push and reset.

This indicates s/w manager issue not a AP firmware issue.  Especially when the workaround is to remove from the manager and add again.  I wouldn’t worry too much about there being “configuration corruption” in HiveOS running on the APs.  The solution article is likely poorly worded.

@john_kernWhat is the URL index to these “solution articles”?

w1f1n00b
Contributor II

Just found this too which may be related.

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?n=000055862&q=%22250%22

Would love to have more details on “ Possible AP configuration corruption over multiple firmware upgrades “. Does this mean it happens to every AP or some? Is there any way to ID this? Am I expected to accept that config changes will take excessive amounts of time as I sort out which devices did and didn’t apply the changes (fyi -the radio profile columns in Device>Manage do not reflect live AP data, so the only way to know for sure which radio profile is running is to CLI into the device.) This is a mess.

w1f1n00b
Contributor II

I do have a case in for this, but so far haven’t made much progress. I’ve seen this related to manual config changes, but also with freshly onboarded APs. I just want to know this isn’t going to continue to be an ongoing issue moving forward.

One way to test for devices that are out of sync is to rename the radio profile in use, and then look at the radio profile column. Devices that are in a weird state will not reflect the re-named policy.

But it also shows up with Cloud Config Groups. Devices in weird states won’t apply device templates via CCG. Overall it’s an issue I’ve been dealing with for over a year, and I just want to get to the bottom of it, so I can configure my APs efficiently.

GTM-P2G8KFN