cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange DHCP behavior on Android 4.4.4 (Datalogic) terminals connected via ExtremeCloud

Strange DHCP behavior on Android 4.4.4 (Datalogic) terminals connected via ExtremeCloud

Erik1
New Contributor

Hi all,

We have something strange with our Android 4.4.4 Datalogic terminals when trying to connect to a SSID delivered via ExtremeCloud IQ and a Aerohive AP121. 

We have been using Aerohives for a couple of years in quite large environments, but this is something different. 
On a branch location, we have a single AP setup to broadcast a SSID without any specific VLAN configuration. Both the device as clients will be in VLAN 1 (unmanaged) 

At this location, we have 2 Datalogic Android 4.4.4 terminals. One can connect fine, when the other one connects, the second one doesn't get an IP-address (most of the time). When we shutdown the working one, and wait a few minutes. The other one starts working.. 

You would suspect something with the DHCP, however this one simply works for all other devices (Android smartphones, Windows laptops) connected via the same SSID and AP. 

You might suspect something wrong with the MAC-addresses but these differ. 

When I setup a simple hotspot via smartphone or laptop, both terminals can connect fine to my hotspot. Just not via the SSID over the Aerohive/ExtremeCloud. 

We have updated everything to the latest versions, we have changed the firewall that delivers the DHCP, we have changed the PoE injector and we have tried another Aerohive model which we had on stock (AP330). 

Must say, these are older models.. other sites where these terminals operate fine are running AP410C. 
We haven't tried a simple AP from another vendor yet but this is still an option as we only need one AP and don't need roaming or extensive coverage. 

Is there anything in the default configuration that we overlooked ? 

3 REPLIES 3

Treehouse
New Contributor II
Is this a setup that stopped working or a new setup with older equipment and you just run into this issue ?

If it was working but fails now, I would suspect a bug in the upgraded firmware. Can you downgrade the firmware to a lower version and check again ?

Thx

Erik1
New Contributor
Hi Sam,
Many thanks for your reply. I have added you as an external Administrator onto our instance. 

The organization name is Dutch Flower Group B.V. 

The Network Policy where we have this issue is OZ-Hami_63

When you check the AP and clients, you don't see any issues currently as we removed the second device to prevent them knocking each other off. 
I do have an AP log with some details when both devices were trying to connect if you are interested

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Erik, would you be able to add me as a temporary external user to your XIQ instance so I can check your configuration real quick? This guide covers how to add an external admin to your XIQ instance, and if you could please use the email spirok@extremenetworks.com to add me I would appreciate it.

I'll also need to know your organization name, which can be found by clicking on the silhouette icon in the top right corner of XIQ> Global Settings> Account Details> Scroll down to Organization Information section> Organization Name is the first item in this section. That name will help me find your instance out of all the instances I have access to currently.  

Finally, if you could let me know which Network policy I should be looking at, and which SSID you are trying to connect to, that will help narrow things down.
GTM-P2G8KFN