cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why so many retires, but only on wifi interface

Why so many retires, but only on wifi interface

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Recently we got rid of the 2.4ghz band on wifi interface wifi0 and replaced it with 5ghz, leaving interface wifi1 alone (802.11ax_5g) radio profile radio_ng_11ax-5g and channels set to Auto.

Heres what i noticed, and its probable that this has been going on all the time, but with more devices connecting to wifi1, we now see the issue.

only on wifi1 am i seeing a ton of RX TX retries.

5fa3ac7fd93a449394a944e7493ccd4f_e520401c-9cbe-498c-8ad2-a386604300ba.png

What is the reason for this?  thats an insane amount of retires, and notice how the other is totally fine.

any ideas?

thanks,

J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ovais_Qayyum
Extreme Employee

Hi J, 

The screenshot has the answer, on 5GHz interface you have got 56 connected clients and the radio can sense another 72 “surrounding clients” which are the clients not directly connected to this AP but may be using the same channel i.e. 161 which may also also be used by another AP. The AP in question may not be the only AP in your environment which is using channel 161. So, with 56 connected clients and 72  other clients that are probing on the same channel 161, the AP will hear a lot of chatter which has increased the channel utilization to 69%. High channel utilization means less transmit opportunity for each client, more collisions, more back-off and more re-transmit attempts. 

There are many reasons for high transmit retry % in a network:

1- Too many Clients and too less of APs/Radios.

2- RF interference caused by the neighboring APs, it could be adjacent channel or co-channel interference. An example would be an environment where APs using the same channels can hear each other loud and clear. 

3- Co-channel interference (CCI) caused by clients, CCI is the no. 1 cause of interference in a WiFi network and it can’t be completely mitigated. Only a properly planned and designed network can help lessen the impact of CCI.          

Regards,

Ovais

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

All of the AP650(AH) are on the same firmware version 10.0.5.0, we have AP1130’s on 8.2.4.0 as well as two of them on 10.0.5.0 and a single AP460C on 10.2.0.0.

I checked with the consultant that installed our firewall, and the ports are open, as well as persistent NAT being enabled.

Ill try the SSH, and see what it shows.  Thanks for the info, appreciated.

J

Ovais_Qayyum
Extreme Employee

Hi J,

If others of the same model accept it then your configuration is probably good. I would factory reset the problem APs and give it a Complete config push. Also make sure they're using the same firmware. It's very rare but I've seen it only once that various firmware act differently in terms of configuration pushes.

The next things that causes configurations to fail is CAPWAP stability. Some firewalls like Palo Alto & SonicWall like to close the UDP 12222 quickly and sever the connection to the cloud.

How does the CAPWAP client info look like on these two APs? try SSH into the AP and run “show capwap client” and post the output.

Regards,

Ovais

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Hi,

So, i saw two AP’s that were experiencing an issue (power level too high), and made a change to power.  When i try to update the AP, either Delta or Complete, it fails.  This happened before and i had to go unplug the AP form the switch before it would take the update.  I tried that with these AP’s and it still fails when trying to update.

Here is the thread with all the steps ive tried without success:

The title is wrong though, no matter what I try, i cant update the AP.

Any help to resolve this issue is appreciated.

thanks,

J

Ovais_Qayyum
Extreme Employee

Good deal, will wait for your feedback. 

BTW, don’t forget to pay attention to the following clients related points that I had mentioned. Those in the lecture hall may not roam while they are in the hall, eventually when the lecture is over they will move out and that’s where they may stick to this AP even if they have moved to an area few rooms across.    

• Actively doing Tx/Rx
  • Using any application that utilizes broadcast/multicast etc.
  • Legacy 802.11b/g clients which are slower and drag the faster clients with them
  • Clients that are located far from the AP will also increase retries, because these clients won’t get Tx opportunity as often as the clients located closer to the AP, hence they keep re-trying.   
  • Clients that are sticky and not roaming away from the lecture hall AP when they really should move on to the next better AP. This is a very common problem with hand-held client devices. These clients will kill the performance of the AP.
  • If its a large lecture hall and the network is designed to cover the hall with single AP, you may have too many clients for a single AP, adding another AP will help load balance the clients across the two APs and free up the channel. But this should only be considered if the above mentioned conditions are not found to be true.

Regards,

Ovais

GTM-P2G8KFN