Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help to understand a enterasys router configuration

I need help to understand a enterasys router configuration

Jean-Philippe_V
New Contributor
Hello,

we have a Enterasys Matrix E5 chassis, that contains four switches (5H152-50) and a router (5SSRM-02).

Here are a few lines extracted from the router configuration file :

stp enable port gi.(1-2).(1.2)
vlan make trunk-port gi.(1-2).(1.2)
vlan create VLAN1 port-based id 80
vlan add ports gi.(1-2).(1.2) to VLAN1

When I use the command SHOW MAU-statistics all-ports, the ports gi.(1-2).(1.2) are not displayed, and only the front ports appear.

Can you confirm me that the ports gi.1.1, gi.1.2, gi.2.1 and gi.2.2 are backplane ports ?
Do you know a documentation on the use of this ports ?

Could you tell me why, when we use the SHOW MAU-statistics all-ports command, these ports are not displayed ?

Thank you very much.

Bests regards.

8 REPLIES 8

Here we get into phraseology. When I spoke of only front ports being capable of trunking, I was referring to SmartTrunking, aka Link Aggregation (LAG). When you are tagging multiple VLANs over a Port or a SmartTrunk, that's 802.1Q Trunking - which is a different matter entirely.

Backplane ports would not be SmartTrunked, but are usually 802.1Q Trunked to permit the intercommunication of multiple VLANs within multiple slots of a chassis.

Hopefully that's clearer.

Hello,

we have several VLANs that are spread over the 4 switches. So a trunk must be used.
But no front port is used to link the switches. Yet you wrote "It should be on two or more front ports, since that's the only ports that could be trunked".
I don't really understand.

Jean-Philippe_V
New Contributor
Thank you Paul for this command I didn't know !
So, this router has only 4 backplane ports, one for each other slots. Is it correct ?

This router is connected to 4 switches. When I use the device manager of Netsight, only one switch has a smarttrunking port. Yet our vlans are spread across the 4 switches. And there are no trunk in front ports.
Could you tell me why only one switch has a smarttrunk port, and not the fours ?

Thank you again.

Paul_Poyant
New Contributor III
The 5SSRM-02 module for a five-slot Matrix E5 chassis is functionally a SmartSwitch Router SSR-2-B128, and went End of Support over 10 years ago - so please understand that information and assistance for this product is very limited, even on this forum.

5SSRM-02 ports gi.1.1, gi.1.2, gi.2.1, and gi.2.2 correspond to backplane ports 1, 2, 3, and 4. The relationship can be readily seen by use of the command "
code:
system show 6000-backplane-status
". Mau-statistics do not apply to backplane ports.
GTM-P2G8KFN