Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S-Series Banner login/MoTD

S-Series Banner login/MoTD

Maciej_Zurawski
New Contributor
Hi everyone,

I have strange behaviour on our SSA switch (SSA-G1018-0652).
I'm trying to set up banner for login and motd ... and I can't.

I tried to input text with single quotes, double quotes, without anything, removed all special characters, even tried single word.

/*removed*/(su)->show banner login

/*removed*/(su)->show banner motd

/*removed*/(su)->
/*removed*/(su)->
/*removed*/(su)->set banner login sample text

/*removed*/(su)->set banner login "sample text"

/*removed*/(su)->show config banner
This command shows non-default configurations only.
Use 'show config all' to show both default and non-default configurations.
begin
!
# ***** NON-DEFAULT CONFIGURATION *****
!
!
# Chassis Firmware Revision: 07.41.03.0009
!
# banner
!
endAm I doing something wrong or this is some interesting case ?

Additional question, are there any other special characters I can use apart from newline (\n) and tab (\t) in banners?

Best Regards,
Maciej
2 REPLIES 2

JAMES_WIEDEL
New Contributor II
Maciej,
I just tried setting both the login and motd messages on an SSA-G10108-0652, which I did successfully. I used the commands

set banner login This is the pre-login message
set banner motd This is the motd message

When I tried to login to the switch, I got the message "This is the pre-login message" (without the quotes). After successfully logging in, I saw the "This is the motd message" as expected.

One difference I noted is that I am running 08.11.04.0006 code. You might want to check the release notes of the code versions between 7.41.03.0009 that you are running and 08.11.04.0006. There may have been a fix for your issue.
Another note, after the pre-login message, I was presented with a "Proceed to login? (y/n) ?" message which you need to answer "y" (without the quotes). I was not expecting that message.

As expected, "clear banner login" and "clear banner motd" will clear the messages.

Best wishes,
James

James,

The prompt after the login banner is the correct behavior. This banner is usually used to inform people about Acceptable Use Policy BEFORE they log into the switch and requires an explicit response from the user. Answering "y" means you agree with the AUP and will let you continue with the login process. Answering "n" will terminate your session .

The motd banner, on the other hand, is informational and does not require any action from the user.

GTM-P2G8KFN