Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tagged and untagged traffic in same VLAN on same port

Tagged and untagged traffic in same VLAN on same port

jeronimo
Contributor III
Hey,

Is it possible to have tagged and untagged egress on a single port and in the same VLAN?
Apparently not. (The switch sets either tagged or untagged egress.)
Is there a workaround? (like assigning the VLAN once untagged and once tagged to a fixed MAC address or so maybe)

The use case is this:
Usually we have VoIP-phones with PCs behind them connected. Phones and PCs are in different VLANs. Standard stuff.
Now there is an exception where there is a PC running some VoIP-admin thingy which (theoretically at least) belongs nicely into the same VLAN than the phones. But in this scenario it seems we will not be able to cascade phone and PC.....

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Marki

(EOS B5 v6.81)

15 REPLIES 15

as I wrote 14 hrs ago,
think about getting the tagged VOIP vlan on a different LAN port of pc, or get the VOIP vlan tagged (see if your NIC drivers support 802.1q tagged vlans)

jeronimo
Contributor III
PVID is the implicit VLAN for untagged ingress packets. I am talking about the egress of the port.

I have configured it once on cisco devices, it is called 'native'
On other devices it may be called 'PVID'

jeronimo
Contributor III
As I explained, yes but in a special scenario: same VLAN, once tagged, once untagged. Can't configure that on port egress. Either tagged or untagged, not the same VLAN both tagged and untagged.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II
You could use MAC based VLANs and have all the traffic on the port untagged. According to the MAC address the switch will assign the packet to the appropriate VLAN. Having tagged und untagged traffic from the same VLAN on one port is not possible.
GTM-P2G8KFN