Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSTP Topology Change

MSTP Topology Change

Configterminal
New Contributor III

Hi all, I am trying to wrap my head around the article below which states 

1) Disable STP on the uplink/trunk and set the other ports to edge-port true:

I'm am wondering why this is the recommendation for this issue?  Wouldn't disabling STP on uplinks be a bad thing?  My architecture is as follows ERS4950 Stack Ports 1/50,2/50 in an MLT going to a VSP-7254 Ports 1/1 and 1/2 (MLT).  Wouldn't this be a bad thing, I'm not doing SPBM mode on the ERS, it is strictly an L2 switch.

https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000059908

3 REPLIES 3

EF
Contributor II

To avoid loops in uplinks from-to CORE think in SLPP.

SLPP (Single Loop Protection Protocol) is a simple way to avoid loops in SMLT or MLT topologies without STP configuration.

In my opinion SLPP simplified the STP topology, is more eficiency in loop detection and very easy to configure.

Cheers

Ludovico_Steven
Extreme Employee

> Ports 1/50,2/50 in an MLT going to a VSP-7254 Ports 1/1 and 1/2 (MLT)

That is 1 single logical link. So does not look like you need STP to block any redundant links; do you ?

Anyway, is STP enabled on the 7254 MLT ?

The article was written for the typical ERS deployment with MLT uplinks into an SMLT/MLAG distribution pair, where STP is always disabled anyway; so no point having it enabled on the ERS side either.

Hello!  It is indeed configured on the VSP7254 and I don't need STP to block and redundant links but wouldn't it be best to leave it enabled as a precaution in case someone unintentionally setup an additional uplink from the ERS to the VSP and did not add it to the LAG?

GTM-P2G8KFN