cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5520 switch 1000BT GBIC in 5520-VIM-4X wont link

5520 switch 1000BT GBIC in 5520-VIM-4X wont link

Keith9
Contributor III

I put a 1000BASE-T SFP (FS.com Extreme encoded) that usually works without hesitation in X450G2 switches in a new 5520 switch.  This would be port 1:57.

I connected a cable to an ethernet handoff and get no link.  sh port 1:57 does not show any link at all.  

The reason I’m using this is to keep the face ports (1 to 48) free for endpoints and I was going to use the VIM-4X for uplinks.

Any reason why this module works fine on a 450G2 but not a 5520 on EXOS 31.1.3?

It sees it according to the log

Slot-1: Media 1000T is inserted into Port 1:57

I even tried a cisco one, it sees that one too according to the log, but I can’t establish a link.

Port     Display              VLAN Name           Port  Link  Speed  Duplex                                                                                                 #        String               (or # VLANs)        State State Actual Actual                                                                                                 ===========================================================================                                                                                                 1:57                          Default             E     R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

@Keith Correct, What “works” and what is “validated” are two different things. I have seen folks do some “creative” things with our switches over the years.  I wish I could give you an answer but at this time I need to abide with the same tools the public uses.    

You are best to follow up with your local Extreme SE. Have them reach into PLM.  If you don’t know your SE you can DM me and I can help you out.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Keith9
Contributor III

On this 5520 switch I get this:
Error: Auto negotiation off is not supported on port 1:57.

The other end is an MRV OS606 fiber to ethernet handoff from a WAN provider.  I don’t have access to that config, the ISP handles that.

I tried plugging in my gigabit nic from my windows laptop to port 1:57 and it does not link up either.

Whats weird is the ISP supplied MRV OS606 device shows a link light when plugged into the EXOS 1:57 port.  Its just the EXOS operating system is not signaling a link.

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

Check out the optics site for 5520 and the 1000BT p/n 10070H

https://optics.extremenetworks.com/EXOS/

It mentions that the extreme p/n 10070H is not supported on the VIM ports. 

TTBOMK Its only supported on access ports for the 5520-48SE and 5520-24X.

568dbf82f1024eaa902d3c596f067bd3_730fbfa7-74b0-4c09-8617-d2b2fee37410.png

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Might be a chipset limitation that the 5520 does not support auto-nego on gigabit fiber-links - other EXOS Switches do support it and have it enabled on gigabit fiber-ports by default. Can you try to disable auto nego on both sides (or at least at the remote side):

configure ports <port number> auto off speed 1000 duplex full

GTM-P2G8KFN