Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVB - Changing the class priorities for Class A and Class B

AVB - Changing the class priorities for Class A and Class B

Atis_Kalnins
New Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I am working in an AVB project with a Summit X440-8t switch (EXOS 15.7.1.4). I have a question about the AVB class priorities assigned to Class A and Class B, and the possibility to change them.

Background:
IEEEE P802.1p defines default attributes for traffic classes:

• for Class A the ClassPriority 5
  • for Class B the ClassPriority 4
The ClassPriorities are encoded in the VLAN tags in the corresponding PCP values.

It looks like the switch has the following default attributes for traffic classes:

• for Class A the ClassPriority 3
  • for Class B the ClassPriority 2
My question is:
Is it possible to change in the switch the class priorities for Class A and Class B? I would like to have for Class A the ClassPriority 5 and for Class B the ClassPriority 4.

I did not find anything related to changing the ClassPriorities in the EXOS documentation
The reason why I would like to increase the class priorities is that I want to run the AVB streams with higher priorities than other TCP traffic that runs in the same AVB domain on priorities 3 and 2.

Help would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Atis

2 REPLIES 2

Chad_Smith1
Extreme Employee
Atis,

Unfortunately the dot1p mappings of the AVB traffic are not user configurable. The other traffic will need to be re-mapped to a different 802.1p value.

Currently I’ve a Summit-x440-8t switch and I’m trying to send CLASS A (Priority 3) avb packets to the switch.  But SWITCH is modifying the Priority to 0 and sending it to the listener.  How to over come this issue.  Could you please provide a detailed step on how to change the settings with actual commands.

GTM-P2G8KFN