Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure port to allow/forward and tag all VLANs configured in the switch

Configure port to allow/forward and tag all VLANs configured in the switch

kaare_t
New Contributor III
Hi all!

It's a bit hard to explain as I am not a switch expert, but I am trying to give a description below. If anything is unclear, please let me know and I will try and provide more/different information.

I have several switches (X440's), and I have about 12 VLAN's, and they are the same in all of them. Every time I create a new VLAN (not that often, but it happens), I first create the VLAN in all the switches - this is OK, and must be done. However, what I want to do is to have one or multiple ports in the switches to simply forward all my VLAN's. That way I don't have to both create the VLAN and configure the port to allow for the tagged VLAN.

So basically I would like one or several ports in each switch to forward, and tag all available VLAN's in the specific switch.

The reason for this is "of course" to only configure these trunk ports once, and only create new VLAN's when I need them.

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

Tripathy__Priya
Extreme Employee
As suggested by David yes you can look at the option of using MVRP as one solution here. I would like to add few more points to what is said earlier:

MVRP, which replaced GVRP, is a standards-based layer 2 protocol for automatic configuration of VLAN information on switches.Within a layer 2 network, MVRP provides a method to dynamically share VLAN information and configure the needed VLANs. For example, in order to add a switch port to a VLAN, only the end port, or the VLAN-supporting network device connected to the switchport, need be reconfigured, and all necessary VLAN trunks are dynamically created on the other MVRP-enabled switches. Without using MVRP, either a manual configuration of VLAN trunks or some other tedious methods might be in use which causes further criticality in to network .

It is through MVRP that dynamic VLAN entries will be updated in the filtering database. In short, MVRP helps to maintain VLAN configuration dynamically based on current network configurations.

To have more information on this protocol you can check online many more documents already available.

Thanks for joining the Hub Kaare_t.

We very much appreciate your trust in Extreme Networks!

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation!

davidj_cogliane
Contributor
You are looking for MVRP. If you create the vlan on both switches and add it to one active port on each switch it MVRP can dynamically add the vlan to your uplink ports.

8884e69193334f88a86f0716fa8a7a76_RackMultipart20170110-77494-1skn7ch-Capture1_inline.jpg

GTM-P2G8KFN