cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device not registering in fdb

Device not registering in fdb

Keith_Obermeie1
New Contributor
I am trying to connect 8 Motorola SLR 5000 series repeaters to my network. They have 10/100 interfaces set to auto negotiate with IP addresses assigned. When I connect them I am getting a link light, and the switch is showing it connected at 100BT, but when I do a "show fdb port" I do not see the MAC address in the forwarding table. Obviously they are not reachable via IP --layer 2 does not get setup up so layer 3 is not usable. This is happening at different sites, different repeaters, different stacks (All Summit 450 G2's running 22.6.1.4-patch1-8). --btw I have tried setting them to manually negotiate.

My radio vendor had these repeaters successfully connected at their shop using unmanaged switches. They were pingable and were communicating with each other via IP.

Today I am going to set one up on a old D2 I have sitting around to see if I can see it register in the mac table on Enterasys gear. For the life of me I don't see how something can come up at layer 1 but not come up on layer 2 --barring patch cord problems, and of course I have swapped out cables.

Anyone have any ideas of where to go next?
4 REPLIES 4

Keith_Obermeie1
New Contributor
laptop on the port gets a lease and works perfectly.

I put an old Enterasys D2 between the Summit Stack and the repeaters, and I get L2 and L3.

My only conclusion is that there is something in XOS that is preventing the repeaters from establishing L2. Time for GTAC.

EtherMAN
Contributor III
Are you perhaps tagging a vlan on the handoff port instead having the vlan untagged? One thing you could also do is plug the ap into a laptop with wireshark and see if it chirps and sends out a dhcp request.

Keith_Obermeie1
New Contributor
I've set the device to DHCP and rebooted just to make sure that it would have some traffic to send. No luck.

jeronimo
Contributor III
Are those devices trying to initiate some sort of outbound traffic? If they are totally silent, they will not appear in the FDB and therefore you will not be able to reach them. A classic.
GTM-P2G8KFN