Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable SNMP authentication fail message

Disable SNMP authentication fail message

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Mar 6 2013 8:01PM

Hi guys this message is filling up my syslog database "SNMP.Master: : Login failed through SNMPv1/v2c - bad community name" is there anyway that i can block a this message from generating a syslog message. Or block an ip from trying to connect throuch snmp to my switch? (from Samueltechking)
7 REPLIES 7

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Mar 11 2013 12:13AM

ACLs can be a bit intimidating, but applying the management policy files is pretty easy. You can copy/paste the one I put up above, changing the IP info so it's applicable of course, save it (in this example as ManagementAccess) then enable it like so:

enable ssh2 access-profile ManagementAccess vr "VR-Default"
configure snmp access-profile ManagementAccess

That'll help boost your management security without complicating things.

(from Ansley_Barnes)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Mar 8 2013 12:20AM

Thanks for your help. I didnt use this option because im not good at cofiguring acls on extreme switches. The syntax is a bit difficult but you are right its better to block it completely. Filtering the syslog is just hiding the problem. (from Samueltechking)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Mar 8 2013 12:18AM

Thanks it worked. Yes it has an IP address. Its one of my coworker's computer running spiceworks. (from Samueltechking)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Mar 7 2013 4:46PM

ansleybarnes. You bring up a great point. It is definitely a best practice to configure a policy where you only allow a specific IP (or IPs) to talk to the switch via SNMP. The same goes for telnet and SSH access. (from ethernet)
GTM-P2G8KFN