cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have a working config for a shoretel phone using LLDP on XOS 22.1.4.4

Does anyone have a working config for a shoretel phone using LLDP on XOS 22.1.4.4

George_Schoggin
Extreme Employee
LLDP and Shortel
4 REPLIES 4

Eric_Burke
New Contributor III
Wondering if any on the Extreme side can provide a description of what the "vendor-specific" attribute of the commands refers to? I saw another config recently that actually listed Avaya as opposed to this more generic name and the generic form did not seem to work properly. Can't seem to find an accurate reference to it. Thanks in advance!

Hi Eric, an LLDP frame is essentially made up of three types of TLVs:
    Mandatory TLVs: (Chassis ID, port ID, TTL and End LLDPDU) As long as a system is transmitting an LLDP frame, it MUSt contain these TLVs. By running the enable lldp command, these TLVs are automatically advertised. Optional TLVs: (Port description, systems name and description, management address and system capabilities). As the name states, these aren't required, but can be advertised in addition to the above TLVs. They can be individually added using the configure lldp advertise if configured globally for all ports OR configure lldp port advertise if configured on a per-port basis Custom TLVs: Over the years the original LLDP standard has undergone some enhancements by either standards organizations ( i.e. ITU or the IEEE themselves (i.e. LLDP-MED, DCBX) or via vendors like Avaya (i.e.e Ayava TLVs for Extreme). All these customizations are bundled into what we simply call vendor specific attributes. The reason for this is, if you took a packet capture of the LLDP packet, you'll noticed that each of these custom TLVs will have the organization that developed the TLV at the beginning of the TLV (i.e IEEE 802.3 Power Via MDI, Media (TIA TR-41) Committee, Avaya). These would be configured via the configure lldp port advertise vendor specific
I hope this answers your question.

Brian_Austin
Extreme Employee
Hello George,

What issues are you seeing with your current config for the phone is it not powering on? Or is the device not getting the correct settings?

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
GTM-P2G8KFN