Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeradius setup - version??

Freeradius setup - version??

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Oct 5 2012 9:32AM

Hello, I am attempting to set up freeradius with my switches according to: ExtremeXOS® Concepts Guide Software Version 15.2

Especially the section regarding the profiles:

"Command authorization is also managed on a RADIUS server by editing text files. On a FreeRADIUS
server, the profiles file is divided into sections called profiles. Each profile lists command access
definitions. In the users file, you can use the Profile-Name attribute to select the command profile that
applies to each user managed by command authorization."

I have simply installed freeradius from yum version 2.1.10-5, but there are NO "profiles" file. Therefore in order to follow the guide, I need to know what version of freeradius is being used as it is not mentioned anywhere in the document.

Can you tell me which version of freeradius is used in the guide? Or how I can get around this?

Thank you

(from No_Shankus)
14 REPLIES 14

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Oct 10 2012 2:07PM

Sorry about that. I tried to just get the min of the document. I grabbed the whole chapter on netlogin. It is the same name same login.

P (from Paul_Russo)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Oct 10 2012 11:21AM

Thanks Prusso,

however, it looks to be cut short.
The final page (page 7) ends with:
"If the RADIUS server does not specify a destination VLAN, the port moves to"....

but nothing else.

Also, there is no mention of the command authorisation.

Could you please re-check and re-upload?

Thanks for your time. (from No_Shankus)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Oct 9 2012 5:33PM

Hello Noshankus

The 11.5 code is very old and we do not have an Extreme Radius. I am still not able to upload so I placed this on our FTP site.

go to ftp.extremenetworks.com User name is northcentral password is "password"
When logged in change directory to northcentral it is a hidden directory.
Pleas grab the file freeradius.pdf

Hope this helps
P (from Paul_Russo)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Oct 9 2012 2:36PM

Hi Prusso,

if I must use "Extreme Radius" instead of freeradius, can you please let me know a link so that I may download for Redhat 6 x86_64. An rpm would be preferable.
I cannot find any information about it. (from No_Shankus)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Oct 9 2012 2:20PM

Hi Prusso,

In "ExtremeWare XOS 11.5 Concepts Guide" it says on page 425:
"Extreme Networks provides its users, free of charge, a radius server based on Merit RADIUS. Extreme
RADIUS provides per-command authentication capabilities in addition to the standard set of radius
features."
"When Extreme RADIUS is up and running, the two most commonly changed files will be users and
profiles. The users file contains entries specifying login names and the profiles used for per-command
authentication after they have logged in."

However, there is no mention of this in "ExtremeXOS Concepts Guide, Software Version 15.2", but on page 886:
"Command authorization is enabled in the users file on a FreeRADIUS server, and configured in the
profiles file."

The problem is that there is no "profiles" file in freeradius... Please let me know if in order to use authentication for specific commands, if I have to use the Extreme Radius instead of freeradius.

Please clarify and thank you for your time  (from No_Shankus)
GTM-P2G8KFN