cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure EAPS with CFM/OAM?

How to configure EAPS with CFM/OAM?

PeterK
Contributor III
How can I configure CFM/OAM basicly between 2 switches and together with EAPS for faster ring recovery, when I have a thrid-party switch in ring?
I read user/concept guide, command reference guide and older ENA/ENS Guides, but this doesn't help my.
Can some post a list of commands I need to use?
17 REPLIES 17

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
On the platforms with hardware accelerated CFM (e.g. X460) you can use a much faster rate for the CCMs.

PeterK
Contributor III
Hi Henrique,

thanks for your reply. Thats the fact...

The big 2 points in a ring:
- detecting link-loss between 2 or more 3rd party devices & ring-recovery
- detecting "no traffic-forwarding" without link-loss on 1 or more 3rd party devices & ring-recovery

Of course reducing hello-paket time or cfm-pdu will create higher usage on control-vlan, but it's the same on both mechanism.

When I started this threat, I thought I definitely need cfm for fast-ring-restore with 3rd party devices.

Currently, cfm doesn't really make a sense for me, because in default it's not faster than "eaps-native" and both timers working with 1 second.

From command-reference guide it's recommended to NOT set cfm-pdu / ccm-paket smaller than 1 second.

On EAPS-hello-paket I have not such recommended restriction.

That's why I currently not see a sense for cfm, or do I forget something or didn't see something?

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Peter,

Let's take the following diagram as an example:

----(blocked_port)---SW1---(primary_port)-----DWDM-----DWDM-----SW2

Let's say the RX path between DWDMs went down. TX is still up. What's the direction for EAPS PDUs? TX through primary_port till SW2.

That flow for control_vlan will still be OK and Master node won't converge. Since blocked port is still in place, the Master node won't have data communication (expect for control_vlan) with other switches.

CFM is bi-directional and EAPS PDUs is unidirectional.

That's one situation that CFM is recommended.

PS: Even that DWDM could take all the path down, there could be some other situations similar to that one where CFM might be necessary.

Hope it helps.

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Peter, when using 3rd party devices you have some situations:

When a link-down happens in a Transit node, it will send a link-down message to Master and convergence process starts.
  • If you have two 3rd party devices connected together and the link between them goes down, you should use CFM to speed up the convergence process since no link-down message will be sent from Transit nodes.
  • If you have two or more 3rd party devices that always connect to an EAPS device, any link-down will be noticed and advertised by the transit node. Ex: EAPS device----- 3rd party -------EAPS device ----- 3rd party
Regarding the ring-restore, it's based on the EAPS hello time (1s) through the control vlan.

To speedy up this you can change the hello time from 1 second (default) to milliseconds as follows:
configure eaps name hellotime milliseconds

However this will result in additional process usage and more EAPS ring traffic.

GTM-P2G8KFN