Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inter-VLAN Routing not working correctly

Inter-VLAN Routing not working correctly

IT-SA
New Contributor
Hello!

I just took over a System Administrator role for a company and trying to figure out what happened to one of their VLANs.
I am new to the Extreme Network devices. They currently have 3 stacked X450-e as their main switch stack/router.
The previous SA setup a new VLAN (VLAN11) to free up some IPs on the main subnet.
Some PCs started dropping from the network last week and we ended up figuring out that the VLAN had been removed from the switch configuration.
I readded it and tried to set everything up as it should be but its not working and I am starting to bang my head against the wall and need some other eyes on this to tell me where the issue might be.

I've gone through all the help guides on here and cannot get a PC to ping another PC on VLAN11 from VLAN1. I cannot even get VLAN11 to pass DHCP to the PC. Static set IP doesn't work either.
DHCP server IP is 192.168.0.17

Here is my current switch config:
51 REPLIES 51

My head kind of exploded reading that. I need easier instructions please. I'm on my 14th working hour, ready for sleep lol.

Robert_Cummins
New Contributor
Is the problem only getting a DHCP response on the VLAN? You said two ports are working but "other" ports fail to get DHCP replies. I'm trying to make sure this is not a dhcp-relay problem and that any statically configured IP system works.

Yeah, I thought I remembered that each VLAN needs to have DHCP relay enabled. I'll go back and look at your config - is 'enable bootprelay ipv4 VLAN VLAN11' set? We'll see....

Yep, you have it enabled....

Okay, is your dhcp server handing out addresses based on MAC address or does it have a pool of addresses to hand out? Also, is the DHCP server configured to support the network 192.168.11.0/24? (Did I read that right in the top of your config? I thought it was 192.168.something_else.1/24)

IMO VLAN's on Extreme are some of the easiest to work with. No funky PVID's or weird terms, just tagged or untagged membership - that's it. Multiple and it's a trunk, one untagged and it's an access port. I don't often route in the switch unless I need a small /30 for an outside ISP or something like that so in my case I'm not usually using Bootprelay. It looked like you had a relay on the default vlan which is native to most of your users, so I don't think you need that set. Depending on your server, you could also tag V11 into that adapter, trunk the port with both def/11 and essentially drop DHCP on that subinterface directly (getting rid of relay).

So, I thought 2:13 was still setup for VLAN11 earlier. So when I tried doing static IP, it didn't work. Now that it is setup for VLAN11, it does work with a static IP so it for sure is something with DHCP. But what is it and why does it work on a couple of the ports.
GTM-P2G8KFN