cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 address on VLAN error

IPv6 address on VLAN error

Sumanta_Ghosh
New Contributor
Getting error while trying to assign IPv6 interface to a vlan. IPv6 forwarding is already enabled on the VLAN, along with port tagging.

Getting error as below:-

%% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
%% A number within the range of 1-4094 is expected.

18 REPLIES 18

Sumanta_Ghosh
New Contributor
Hi All

Please see below XOS version on hardware X770

David_Choi
Extreme Employee
And for the following error that you mentioned in beginning:
"%% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

I believe there was some typo error or problem during transferring character. Because the error message of "the range of 1-4094" occurs when wrong like as below:

* EXSi_SW3_x460G2.10 # create vlan "TEST"
* EXSi_SW3_x460G2.13 # conf vlan "TES"
^
%% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

You created a VLAN called "TEST", but then tried to configure a VLAN called "TES", which is a different name. No VLAN of that name existed. The error message tried to express this, but failed to convey the message.

Back in the day VLANs had to be referenced by name in EXOS, but now they can be referenced by name or ID, where the ID is a number between 1 and 4094.

A better error message might be "The name of a VLAN or a number within the range of 1-4094 is expected."

David_Choi
Extreme Employee
Hi Sumanta, What is the firmware version of your switch?

When I tested it in local, it looks there is difference per version. When I tested it with 12.4 version, there need "configure vlan ipaddress eui64 fe80::/64" configuration like as you mentioned.

* BD-8810.38 # configure vlan TEST ipaddress fd01:976a:c200:6f1b:0:0:2:2/127
Error: Address must be global unicast or link-local

However it was working well with "configure vlan ipaddress fd01:976a:c200:6f1b:0:0:2:2/127" in version 15.3 and 16.1 without the eui64 command.

I think there was an changes for IPv6 private address (fd01). What is the firmware version of yours?

GTM-P2G8KFN