cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it suported to have a multicast PTP Grandmaster for boundary/ordinary clock setup?

Is it suported to have a multicast PTP Grandmaster for boundary/ordinary clock setup?

Toni_Comerma
New Contributor
I'm trying to setup an EXOS device as boundary or ordinary clock, but our grandmaster is set up to work in multicast. Reading documentation, I've just seen examples for unicast grandmasters. Is it possible to sync to a multicast grandmaster?

7 REPLIES 7

Toni_Comerma
New Contributor
Anyway, I take this opportunity to ask another question. Transparent clock works in multicast? That is, the switch adds the time correction information to the PTP packets when working in multicast?

The hardware supports this functionality and therefore it may work. However, it is not officially supported.

Chad_Smith1
Extreme Employee
Yes if boundary clocks are needed due to the scale of the network, we wouldn't be able to support that functionality.

Toni_Comerma
New Contributor
Yes, both have similar requirements. It's true that there is no requirement for PTP aware switches, but if your network is big, with routing, and heavy traffic (and for video the traffic is around 1,5gb per stream, similar to AVB), manufacturers recommend PTP aware switches to be sure they will be sync issues. On top of that, boundary clocks help to offload requests from the grandmaster. That's why we were trying EXOS PTP features.

Kind regads,

Toni
GTM-P2G8KFN