cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues stacking x440 and x460-G2. No connection on second switch

Issues stacking x440 and x460-G2. No connection on second switch

jveronese
New Contributor II

I have an X440 and an X460-G2. They are connected in a Ring Topology and seem to be successfully stacked after following the guide on Extreme’s site. However, only the switch that is the master (currently my X440) has connection. If I plug a computer into a port on the X460-G2 I get no link lights and no network connectivity. If I make the X460 the master the connection works, but all devices plugged into the X440 lose their connections. I can see both switches from my master, but can’t log in to the non-master switch as it just sits at AAA-pending. The only thing I can think of is that the X460 is on Edge Advanced license while the X440 is on Edge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jveronese
New Contributor II

Sorry for the delay. After wiping both switches back to defaults again I updated them to the latest XOS that the X440 can support. Then after redoing all the stacking commands it seems to be working now. Thank you for your help with this.

I have them in a stack as I am going to move my NAS and VM hosts to 10-gig using the SPF+ on the 460-G2, but use the X440 for most of my regular 1-gig connections as it has more ports.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

jveronese
New Contributor II

Sorry for the delay. After wiping both switches back to defaults again I updated them to the latest XOS that the X440 can support. Then after redoing all the stacking commands it seems to be working now. Thank you for your help with this.

I have them in a stack as I am going to move my NAS and VM hosts to 10-gig using the SPF+ on the 460-G2, but use the X440 for most of my regular 1-gig connections as it has more ports.

FredrikB
Contributor II

Even if you CAN stack these two switches together, I’m not so sure it’s a good idea. The X440 is really old and has a very weak feature set. The X460-G2 is a formidable beast compared to the X440 mouse.

In a stack, all switches are “downgraded” in functionality to that of the least competent switch. You end up with an X460-G2 with the functionality of an X440… If you only need the port capacity of the X440 added to the ports in the X460-G2, you might be better off not stacking them, but just connecting them together with a VLAN trunk (can even be a LAG for redundancy and more capacity).

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Greetings,

can you give the new output of “show switch” from both switches?

Maybe the X460-G2 has the wrong boot partition selected.

jveronese
New Contributor II

Sorry for the delay. I have updated the 460-G2 to 16.2.2.4. The issue persists. Any thoughts?

GTM-P2G8KFN