Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MLAG/ISC/Teaming-Bonding

MLAG/ISC/Teaming-Bonding

Frank
Contributor
Hello,

we have Windows servers with that nifty Broadcom "Teaming" option as well as Linux CentOS servers with "Bonding" - and of course VMWare hosts with their virtual "switches". Now to set them up properly for both speed aggregation and/or redundancy I need a sanity check please. (EXOS version 15.4.x.x / 15.5.x.x)

(1) Easy scenario: If the team plugs into the same switch, all I need to do is LAG the two ports (sharing/grouping), right? I have both speed aggregation and redundancy.

(2) If the team plugs into two different switches that are connected via an ISC link, do I treat it as a regular MLAG setup? I.e. vlan ISC, add the LAG port, give IP addresses, create mlag peer, enable mlag on port (grouped, if we're going to extremes), all done? (See Concepts Guide example page 294 or thereabouts) Do I still have speed aggregation and redundancy?

(3) Now for the tricky part. Let's say the team plugs into two different (Summit) switches that do NOT have an ISC between each other, but those two switches are lagged to two switches (BlackDiamonds) who have MLAGs to those edge switches (Summits) defined. Kinda your 'standard'(?) two-tier scenario.
What do I do in this case (3) ? I think I have proper redundancy, how about speed aggregation? Do I need to configure anything interesting on the Summits? BDs? Anywhere?

In all those 3 scenarios, do things change depending on if I use Windows/Broadcom Teaming vs. Linux Bonding or VMWare's virtual switch? In the case of VMWare, I presume I just treat it like a regular switch, though, like scenario (3).

And two general questions. The ISC vlan, can I put it on its own separate Virtual Router, like "VR-ISC", just to make sure I don't accidentally enable ipforwarding and route things to it?

Regarding the MLAG-ID, that's just an ID that's unique ID per switch, but has to be the same on the peering switches, right? I'm second-guessing myself after reading this statement "...and an "mlag-id" which is used to reference the corresponding port on the MLAG peer
switch..." in the Concepts Guide.

Thank you!

Frank
6 REPLIES 6

Naoman_Nabil_Gh
New Contributor
VMware doesn't need LACP with switch MLAG.

You can use multiple ports with vswitch load balancing (across one or more switches) and use VMware beacon monitoring to detect path failures.

We also use MLAG to connect VMware servers to our two cores because we noticed that with MLAG the connection between two devices (e.g. two servers or edge switches on the net) are always using the shortest path without using the ISC connection for network traffic. If possible the connection will be always created on the same switch or using the "right" uplink from the edge switch.

I am not sure that this also works with vswitch load balancing because the switch is not able to decide which MLAGs are having the shortest path any more. Maybe someone can explain this a little deeper....

Frank
Contributor
Thank you for your explanation. I had another cup of coffee and thought "oh my, scenario 3 is stupid. There's no way that could ever work right!" - and you explained it much better!

As to LACP (with or without) - at least talking to the Linux guy is easy - that's me - which also makes testing and playing with it a lot easier. I'm trying to keep things simple and get by without using LACP - at least on the switch-to-switch connections.

rbrt
Contributor
If you want more speed just upgrade to 10G, 40G or 100G 😉

For scenario 3 configuring seperate LAGs - with or without LACP - wouldn't help. Possible scenario:

• one server with 4x 1G links
  • two 1G links to switch A
  • two 1G links to switch B
  • each switch has a seperate LAG configured
What happens when you configure a LAG is that the switch basically uses the same MAC address for both links (at least when using LACP, not 100% sure for static LAGs). In the scenario above let's say that switch A uses the MAC AA:AA:AA:11:11:11 and switch B uses BB:BB:BB:22:22:22.

Look at that from the server side. He's talking to two different devices! Cannot work unless you are going to configure two teamings/bondings on the server and then use those two _logical_ links for an active-standby solution.

Let's say that you make both switches known as MLAG peers and ...

• ... configure sharing on switch A.
  • ... configure sharing on switch B.
  • ... configure MLAG with the same ID for those links.
The simple effect for the server is that it's now talking to, for example, MAC CC:CC:CC:33:33:33 on all four ports. This simple fact in turn enables your server guys to configure a single teaming/bonding using all four ports, with or without LACP (remember - talk with them, has to be the same on switch and server).

That's LAG and MLAG, at least how I understand it. Corrections are accepted at any time.

GTM-P2G8KFN