cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does it mean "configure stacking xxxxx [core | advanced-edge | edge]" on XOS?

What does it mean "configure stacking xxxxx [core | advanced-edge | edge]" on XOS?

Edson_Moura
New Contributor
Hi guys,

When use this command "configure stacking {node-address node-address | slot slot-number} license-level [core | advanced-edge | edge]"?

I read the manual but I didn't find any explanation.and examples.

Thanks in advance,

Edson Moura
8 REPLIES 8

StephenW
Extreme Employee
Edson,

Whats the license level of your switches. When you say (Core Switch) do you mean Core License?

ok, If both switches have the same license there is no need for the license-level command in stacking

Hi Stephen,

I said core switch because the 2x X450G2-48t-10G4 460-G2 are my core layer.
I haven't core license. 😞

Thanks,

Edson Moura

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hi Edson,

The licenses themselves are separate but related in regards to this command. The licenses allow certain capabilities whether it be core which allows the full capabilities of OSPF, EAPS, PIM etc as opposed to a edge license which is limited in its protocol use. So in a nutshell each switch needs its own separate license and the stacking command is used to limit the license level jsut for stacking purposes. As Bill mentioned in order to be a master-capable node the license has to match.

The license you need depends on how (for lack of a better term) complicated or robust you want to make the network. You can have a "core" switch jsut do standard routing and it would not require a core license. However if you would like to add multiple VLANs (More than 4, I believe) into OSPF it requires the core license.

I hope this helps and let me know if you need clarification.
GTM-P2G8KFN