cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X695 SFP cage problems, will not release SFPs

X695 SFP cage problems, will not release SFPs

FredrikB
Contributor II

Has anyone else noticed that on X695 (and probably VSP7400 as it’s the same hardware), SFPs can be impossible to remove? The same SFP can work with no problem in other switches but in X695, they are often stuck. Hopefully this is a problem with only some batch and not too wide-spread.

We see the problem with SFPs from multiple vendors, including original Extreme branded SFPs that are indeed original parts, not fake.

/Fredrik

12 REPLIES 12

FredrikB1
New Contributor
I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone else is seeing these problems. I can also add that we just this week discovered that QSFP modules will not always lock in place (the exact opposite problem to the SFP problem). Some QSFP ports in some switches (4 of the 9 tested switches had this problem) will not "click" the QSFP to lock it, so you can pull it out without using the release handle (easy to demonstrate on DAC cable where you can pull the QSFP connector out of the port by pulling the black cable gently).

FredrikB1
New Contributor
New account but I'm still the original poster 🙂 We're still discussing this with Extreme. If anyone is having problems with SFPs getting stuck in X695's or the other models that are the same hardware (VSP7400 and some SLX model I think) please post here! I have indications that both the switch and the SFPs may be within specifications but still the combination is problematic. From a 3:rd party SFP vendor I have a report where one other model of switch from another vendor was showing this problem and there they state that both the SFP and the switch was indeed within specifications.

One may argue that if a vendor releases model after model of switches that do not have a problem with certain SFPs and then all of a sudden a new switch model displays a problem without being out of official specs, then the vendor might consider not using that design anymore. You can insert any vendor name in the previous sentence, not just Extreme.

/Fredrik

FredrikB
Contributor II

Hi Sam!

We’re sending one of the problematic switches in for analysis. I’m done with mine and my conclusion is that the cages are out of tolerance, probably in at least one batch of switches. We have used Extreme original SFPs and had them stick in the cages in the X695 but working flawlessly in an X450-G2. If they find a field fix for it or if we need to RMA them all is anyone’s guess. Extreme seems to have accepted this as a defect in some respect.

If this happens to any reader out there, the trick to free the SFP is to gently push it upwards (if you have the SFP in front of you and it’s in the top row) and then pulling the SFP’s lever to release it. This displaces the SFP just a tiny little bit, enabling the “fork” in the SFP to get in under the retainer (metal “tongue” in the cage) and free the SFP. If there’s an SFP in the port under (or over) the stuck one, pushing up on the SFP is impossible. Instead, a very gentle twist with a screwdriver between the SFPs will lift the SFP that half millimeter that is needed.

There are at least three different mechanisms in SFPs (Extreme has them all in various models) that lock them in place and release them. Only one type is problematic in the defective cages, but this type is used in both some old 1000Base-LX/SX without SSH and in some brand new 10G optics.

Explanatory image of an SFP cage:

https://www.embrionix.com/storage/app/media/resources/SFP%20cage_with_retainer.gif

/Fredrik

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @FredrikB, just wanted to check in to see how things were going?  

FredrikB
Contributor II

Will do! Ping me in a month unless I’ve answered here!

GTM-P2G8KFN