cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterasys C2G124-48P SFP Ports Not Working

Enterasys C2G124-48P SFP Ports Not Working

Paul_Szymkowski
New Contributor
Hello everyone, I recently purchased an Enterasys C2G124-48P used off eBay to add to my network of a C2H124-48 and a C2G124-24. I have matching sets of Finisar FTRJ-8519-7D-2.5 SFP Fibre Optic Transceivers, with the appropriate cables. Since I do not know an incredibly large amount about these switches, I basically use them as dumb switches for my home network to teach myself more about networking.

The issue I'm having is that even after reverting all settings to the factory defaults through the boot menu, the new C2G124-48P will not use the SFP ports at all. With the aforementioned SFP transceivers, I cannot get the switch to connect to my other two Enterasys switches, which will connect to each other using the exact same SFP transceivers and cable. These other two switches will even connect to a Cisco SG 100-24 through the SFP ports. I cant even get the C2G124-48P to connect to itself in a loop, which the other switches will do just fine. Is there some hidden setting in these PoE class switches I'm missing, or does my switch just have dead SFP ports?
2 REPLIES 2

Paul_Szymkowski
New Contributor
James, thanks for the quick reply.

I already knew that 45-48 are combo, but to isolate any possible variables causing issues, the only port with a copper connection is port 1, which is connected to a 10/100 switch and functions as it should. I am using my C2H124-48 for testing this switch, so it has nothing connected on any RJ45 ports. There is a Fibre connection between the two switches using SFP port 48 of both switches, and nothing else other than the aforementioned copper RJ45 connection to port 1 of the C2G124-48P. I do not have any stacking cables, so these switches are all individually configured.

Through the serial port, show port... returns:
C2(su)->show port status ge.1.45-48
Alias Oper Admin Speed
Port (truncated) Status Status (bps) Duplex Type
--------- ------------ ------- ------- --------- ------- ------------
ge.1.45 Down Up N/A N/A Combo RJ45/SFP/PoE
ge.1.46 Down Up N/A N/A Combo RJ45/SFP/PoE
ge.1.47 Down Up N/A N/A Combo RJ45/SFP/PoE
ge.1.48 Down Up N/A N/A Combo RJ45/SFP/PoE

show switch returns:
C2(su)->show switch
Management Preconfig Plugged-in Switch Code
Switch Status Model ID Model ID Status Version
------ ------------ ----------- ----------- --------------------- --------------
1 Mgmt Switch C2G124-48P C2G124-48P OK 05.02.12.0006

If it is of any interest, here is the same information for the C2H124-48 I am using
C2(su)->show switch
Management Preconfig Plugged-in Switch Code
Switch Status Model ID Model ID Status Version
------ ------------ ----------- ----------- --------------------- --------------
1 Mgmt Switch C2H124-48 C2H124-48 OK 05.02.03.0012

(show port status ge.1.49-52 used because this switch does not use shared ports as I recall)

C2(su)->show port status ge.1.49-52
Alias Oper Admin Speed
ge.1.49 Down Up N/A N/A SFP
ge.1.50 Down Up N/A N/A SFP
ge.1.51 Down Up N/A N/A SFP
ge.1.52 Down Up N/A N/A SFP
When this switch is connected to itself (in a loop) through the SFP's, show port status returns:
C2(su)->show port status ge.1.49-52
Alias Oper Admin Speed
ge.1.49 Up Up 1.0G full SFP
ge.1.50 Down Up N/A N/A SFP
ge.1.51 Up Up 1.0G full SFP
ge.1.52 Down Up N/A N/A SFP
When I connect the C2G124-48P to itself in the same manner, the port status does not change.

AH! I might have a faulty switch! I decided to try and check if plugging a copper RJ45 into port 46 would yield any results (I am using SFP ports 45 and 47 to test at the moment), and it does not show any activity at all. As a matter of fact, no RJ45 ports beyond 1-24 function at all. I might pop it open later and see if there's some cable disconnected, if not, then it's back to the eBay seller I bought it from, as this switch was sold with a 1 year warranty.

Thank you again for your help 🙂

JAMES_WIEDEL
New Contributor II
Paul,

Ports 45 thru 48 are combo ports, meaning they can be either copper RJ45 based -OR- SFP based connectivity, not both. Did you happen to have a copper cable plugged into one of the RJ45 ports that are associated with one of the SFP ports? (It's a first link up gets served situation.)
What does a "show port status ge.1.45-48" show? You should see your SFP's information on the right side of the lines after "Combo RJ45/", something like ... Combo RJ45/1000Base-LX/PoE
or ... Combo RJ45/SFP/PoE if there isn't an SFP plugged into the port.
The ports are administratively up, right? (Admin Status is UP) "set port enable" to enable
Do you see link? (Oper status is Up)

What code version are you running?
Also do a "show switch" and make sure you are switch 1 and not some stack member.
We found out that clearing the configs doesn't clear this parameter...
James

GTM-P2G8KFN