cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterasys C5G124-48P2 Disabled Console Port and Can't Interface with Device

Enterasys C5G124-48P2 Disabled Console Port and Can't Interface with Device

zadangoyaya
New Contributor

I recently purchased a Enterasys C5G124-48P2 at government surplus, and I'm having trouble actually getting to configure it. I have two different serial adapters and have confirmed that they both work, I am connected to them through PuTTY in Windows 7, and I am not seeing any messages come in. I assume this is because the switch itself had it's Console/Serial port disabled and was serving in a "stacked" slave role to a master (as described in 8-2 of the manual "When switches are stacked, only the console port on the master unit is active. The console ports on the member units of the stack are deactivated.")"

My question is, if I can't get an IP address for the switch (because I can't get into console), I can't access management through Telnet/SSH, so how can I actually control the device to re-enable the console/serial control? I followed the password reset but that doesn't get me anywhere until I have an interface I can actually interact with. My end goal is to reset the device to factory defaults and not use any of the existing settings, including being able to control it over serial. 

Edit: These are the adapters I am using:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N335QZX

Adapter 2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753HBT12

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bill_Handler
Contributor II

Zadangoyaya,

Have you been able to test the cables on other devices?  While the console port on stack members does lose some functionality, you still should see some text come across as the switch it booting.  However, we have never attempted to disable console ports before.

I'm curious what government agency this was surplused from.  If federal gov't, all bets are off - we've seen some "interesting" method used to secure devices (i.e. epoxying USB Ports and such).  If it was from a local gov't/school, I'd bet that either there is an issue with the switch itself or with the adapter.

A little troubleshooting - that you may have already done; ensure your putty settings are 8-none-1, 9600 baud, and that you're using the correct COM port for the cable.  I've seen cables that sometimes will use a different COM port each time they are plugged in.  I've always had the best luck with the TrippLite USA-19 series of USB to Serial adapters for these types of switches.  You'll need a null modem cable as well if you go this route.

Also, as mentioned previously, test your computer/cable with a different device to ensure the cable is working correctly...

Bill

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

James_A
Valued Contributor

If there's no other devices connected, the switch should elect itself master of the stack. So I'd be looking at the serial connection (you should at least get a prompt when it's not the master).

Bill_Handler
Contributor II

Zadangoyaya,

Have you been able to test the cables on other devices?  While the console port on stack members does lose some functionality, you still should see some text come across as the switch it booting.  However, we have never attempted to disable console ports before.

I'm curious what government agency this was surplused from.  If federal gov't, all bets are off - we've seen some "interesting" method used to secure devices (i.e. epoxying USB Ports and such).  If it was from a local gov't/school, I'd bet that either there is an issue with the switch itself or with the adapter.

A little troubleshooting - that you may have already done; ensure your putty settings are 8-none-1, 9600 baud, and that you're using the correct COM port for the cable.  I've seen cables that sometimes will use a different COM port each time they are plugged in.  I've always had the best luck with the TrippLite USA-19 series of USB to Serial adapters for these types of switches.  You'll need a null modem cable as well if you go this route.

Also, as mentioned previously, test your computer/cable with a different device to ensure the cable is working correctly...

Bill

GTM-P2G8KFN